So how was your day?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That is always the risk. Whenever I have questions, about my diet now, I try to remember to ask OM1. He is very knowledgeable.

Rac80 already knows my thing for fitness, since I have gone on about it many times before. But Bluce Ree is also very knowledgeable, as is Aragon101. FITNESS RULES!

G

Graybrew1

Rac80 already knows my thing for fitness, since I have gone on about it many times before. But Bluce Ree is also very knowledgeable, as is Aragon101. FITNESS RULES!

Cool to know there are so many experts here. Yet another perk of being a GF member. :biggrin:

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
my fitness involves me eating when I'm hungry but sometimes I'm like stfu stomach! I've had enough of your grumbling!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Writing about it keeps me doing it too.

Cool to know there are so many experts here. Yet another perk of being a GF member. :biggrin:

There is a fitness thread in FH you should check out. But perhaps a newer one is needed in the Lounge? I think there is one already in there. I cant be bothered to find the link at the moment :)

my fitness involves me eating when I'm hungry but sometimes I'm like stfu stomach! I've had enough of your grumbling!

Its okay to eat when you are hungry. You can eat all you want! Just make it the right stuff you are eating and you will remain healthy and fit. There are so many natural zero/low carb foods you can snack on, there are bound to be many choices you can make. My favorite snacks are dry roasted peanuts, almonds and cashews, pork rinds, beef jerky, apples and oranges, pears, cantaloupe (pretty much any melons), cheese...the list goes on. Eating protein is self-limiting. When you have eaten enough, your body will turn off the hunger signal. Sometimes, when you THINK you are hungry, you are actually THIRSTY, and your body wants water, even if it is contained in food. Drink water to stave off hunger (and hydrate).

If you are significantly overweight, something is out of balance. It can be fixed just by changing what you eat.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
haha, I'm underweight. Actually trying to become a vegetarian. So far it hasn't been working out too well but trying.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
haha, I'm underweight. Actually trying to become a vegetarian. So far it hasn't been working out too well but trying.

If you are underweight, you need to eat protein. It is probably unwise to go vegetarian unless you can eat LOTS of vegetables, and you include vegetables like spinach, broccoli, and fatty veggies like avocados. Also, read up on vegetarianism...its a trend, I know. But the reality is that humans are NOT vegetarians by nature, and that becoming one is unnatural for humans.

Q: What is a Vegetarian?

A: A poor hunter

:)

Humans and all primates are hunter gatherers, and that has been the driving force of our migrations as well as the first territorial conflicts amongst humans. Hunters arent hunting plants. There was never a tool found by early man which was made to cut plants.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
If you are underweight, you need to eat protein. It is probably unwise to go vegetarian unless you can eat LOTS of vegetables, and you include vegetables like spinach, broccoli, and fatty veggies like avocados. Also, read up on vegetarianism...its a trend, I know. But the reality is that humans are NOT vegetarians by nature, and that becoming one is unnatural for humans.

Q: What is a Vegetarian?

A: A poor hunter

:)

Humans and all primates are hunter gatherers, and that has been the driving force of our migrations as well as the first territorial conflicts amongst humans. Hunters arent hunting plants. There was never a tool found by early man which was made to cut plants.

also eating grains and other veggies is damaging to out teeth and before we did that we didnt have a big cavity problem and other related issues.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
also eating grains and other veggies is damaging to out teeth and before we did that we didnt have a big cavity problem and other related issues.

Our life spans weren't long enough back then to see the effects of tooth decay.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
speaking of veggies:
choppped up five pounds of onions for the freezer (makes cooking easier) and had an allergic reaction to the "juice"...:P:P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
lol, do you really want to turn this into a debate?

What is there to debate? Before you try to make a case for humans being vegetarian, I strongly suggest you read this quick article from The Vegetarian Resource Group (yes, vegetarians themselves): http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/omni.htm

Anatomically, behaviorally and naturally, humans are omnivores, not herbivores.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
What is there to debate? Before you try to make a case for humans being vegetarian, I strongly suggest you read this quick article from The Vegetarian Resource Group (yes, vegetarians themselves): http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/omni.htm

Anatomically, behaviorally and naturally, humans are omnivores, not herbivores.

This may be my carnivore tendancies coming out, but I would say humans are more inclined towards being carnivores than omnivores, just somewhere along the line we learned that fruits/veggies are good for us as well. :D

I do however agree that right now, we a best served by by being omnivores. We simply know enough about foods and thier various effects on our physiology to think otherwise.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
speaking of veggies:
choppped up five pounds of onions for the freezer (makes cooking easier) and had an allergic reaction to the "juice"...:P:P

If you refrigerate the onions prior to chopping them (get them good and cold) that will help to reduce the tear inducing smell a great deal.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This may be my carnivore tendancies coming out, but I would say humans are more inclined towards being carnivores than omnivores, just somewhere along the line we learned that fruits/veggies are good for us as well. :D

I do however agree that right now, we a best served by by being omnivores. We simply know enough about foods and thier various effects on our physiology to think otherwise.

I agree with the bolded. But I think the truly balanced state is between the carnivore and the herbivore. I try to eat more green to balance out my high protein intake.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So where would being a plasmovore fall on the scale...

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I agree with the bolded. But I think the truly balanced state is between the carnivore and the herbivore. I try to eat more green to balance out my high protein intake.

Exactly what I mean. We know (or at least could know if we wanted too) so much about what the best fuel for our bodies is. It's not strictly meat, nor is it vege, (though I will say that many elements found in meat can be found in veggies such as mushrooms and egg-plant). I can just as easily murder a good steak as I can a bowl of salad, all that matters is what I want at the time, and most of the time I want MEAT. :D

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
They got chuck roast on sale at the grocery store so I'm going tomorrow to buy a couple of them. Yes, I said a couple of them. I have stopped buying already processed ground beef and now grind my own. I do it right in my good ol' Cuisinart food processor. This way I have control over exactly what goes into my ground beef and a better idea of how fresh it is. I do this with whatever roast is on sale on a regular basis, making sure to get quality meat from a store I trust.

I no longer buy meat from the local Pick-N-Save though as it's always crap. There's something not right about meat that gushes liquid out of it when you cook it, not to mention the complete lack of flavor.

At any rate, I find buying quality beef and trimming it and/or processing it myself is so worth the little bit of time it takes me to do it. Oh yeah, and I bought a pressure cooker awhile back and now I can cook up the toughest cut of meat and still have it come out butter tender. I love this thing! It's so easy to use and now they make them with stupid-easy safety features. Just pop the lid on and lock it. If it gets too hot it vents on its own. No more horribly maimed and scalded family members from an exploding pressure cooker! Yay!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Right on

They got chuck roast on sale at the grocery store so I'm going tomorrow to buy a couple of them. Yes, I said a couple of them. I have stopped buying already processed ground beef and now grind my own. I do it right in my good ol' Cuisinart food processor. This way I have control over exactly what goes into my ground beef and a better idea of how fresh it is. I do this with whatever roast is on sale on a regular basis, making sure to get quality meat from a store I trust.

I no longer buy meat from the local Pick-N-Save though as it's always crap. There's something not right about meat that gushes liquid out of it when you cook it, not to mention the complete lack of flavor.

At any rate, I find buying quality beef and trimming it and/or processing it myself is so worth the little bit of time it takes me to do it. Oh yeah, and I bought a pressure cooker awhile back and now I can cook up the toughest cut of meat and still have it come out butter tender. I love this thing! It's so easy to use and now they make them with stupid-easy safety features. Just pop the lid on and lock it. If it gets too hot it vents on its own. No more horribly maimed and scalded family members from an exploding pressure cooker! Yay!

EXCELLENT practices. Its okay to eat processed foods as long as you are the one processing them! Essentially, when you make a salad or cook dinner, you are processing raw foods (if you cook them at all). Making a salad from ingredients you choose = GOOD. Buying pre-mixed salad greens in a bag or pre-made salads = BAD. Buying quality meat and grinding it (or otherwise processing it) is great because you have EXACT control over it. Chuck steak makes WAY better hamburgers than those awful tubes of beef found in supermarkets, and costs about the same in weight. But the chuck will be better quality and you can pick what you want. You can even blend cuts. :) You can grind seasonings or marinate in that process too.