So how was your day?

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
I know I'm nitpicking here but what we're discussing isn't truly capitalism, it's a horrible mix of government cronyism and favoritism given to a select few. I agree that there needs to be oversight but have doubts about a government appointed oversight committee. Think about it, Halliburton got the contract because of government officials to begin with (Dick Cheney just one of them, who, incidentally, is one of the "owners" of Halliburton). How do we know these government officials on the oversight committee won't be corrupt also? Who is going to watch the watchers?

But yes, a better system needs to be implemented or rather, the old system needs to be reimplemented. As you said some "industries" need to be government run and the military is obviously a government entity. Mixing in corporate elements is detrimental.

Hell, even President Eisenhower back in the 50's warned against the "military-industrial complex". Too bad we didn't listen to him, eh?
yes and that is what your unchecked and rampant current version of capitalism leads too.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I know I'm nitpicking here but what we're discussing isn't truly capitalism, it's a horrible mix of government cronyism and favoritism given to a select few. I agree that there needs to be oversight but have doubts about a government appointed oversight committee. Think about it, Halliburton got the contract because of government officials to begin with (Dick Cheney just one of them, who, incidentally, is one of the "owners" of Halliburton). How do we know these government officials on the oversight committee won't be corrupt also? Who is going to watch the watchers?

But yes, a better system needs to be implemented or rather, the old system needs to be reimplemented. As you said some "industries" need to be government run and the military is obviously a government entity. Mixing in corporate elements is detrimental.

Hell, even President Eisenhower back in the 50's warned against the "military-industrial complex". Too bad we didn't listen to him, eh?

How do you solve the problem of who's going to watch the watchers?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Again going from memory :P
Only 2 books came out in between the 2, Geralds Game and Delorous Claiborne, both of which have very heavy "entrapment" style themes, which very well could have been an "Exorcising the demons" kind of deal. I don't see it as "schizophrenic" so much as a massive lifestyle change at the time.
As to the editor, he has pretty much kept the same ones for long stretches IIRC as well.

Yes, but that is sorta the point. His best work was IMHO when he WAS "on the drugs", the subject matter really lends itself to the scene, and quitting may have given him the literary equivalent to bad Acid flashbacks :P

There's something kind of sad about that, I mean, he does his best work when he's high. It really is sad if you think about it.

OMNI

I understand you have strong feelings on this matter. I value our friendship and don't want to upset you. I do find faults with my nation. I have never stated that I did not. But I still love my country, because it is my country.
oh im not upste just trying to get my POV across. and sure i can relate to tolerating my contry myself but do i "LOVE" it unconditionally? hell no!

OMNI

There's something kind of sad about that, I mean, he does his best work when he's high. It really is sad if you think about it.
why? some of the greatest thinkers and artist throughout history have been either drunk or high out of their minds when they have come up with their most brilliant of works..

G

Graybrew1

yes and how was life for the poorest in your country at that time eh? what i see in my head whan i think about those times are projects in new york in ruins.. economical growth and surplus my arse.

The poor were poor in slums in Europe during the Victorian era of wealth, they were in slums in the US during the 80's. The are in slums Jamaica today even though their tourism industry brings in millions and millions to that country. They are all equally wrong.

That is not being debated. I have stated several times that I believe all politicians are corrupt. My country is not the only one included in that statement but is probably one of the worst. I agree about that. That just was not the point of the argument.

Bluce Ree

why? some of the greatest thinkers and artist throughout history have been either drunk or high out of their minds when they have come up with their most brilliant of works..

Have you seen the funky design of the plutonium casing used to detonate the plutonium in a nuke? Einstein had to be high on pot to think an imploding soccer ball would cause that much destruction.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
yes and that is what your unchecked and rampant current version of capitalism leads too.

I didn't want to devolve into an argument over definitions but felt it important to point that out. Suffice to say that getting government special treatment and favors is not capitalism, if anything it's a weak variant of fascism. But I truly don't want to get off on that tangent.

OMNI

Have you seen the funky design of the plutonium casing used to detonate the plutonium in a nuke? Einstein had to be high on pot to think an imploding soccer ball would cause that much destruction.
aye that stuff is freaky and ive seen some of it ye ;)

OMNI

I didn't want to devolve into an argument over definitions but felt it important to point that out. Suffice to say that getting government special treatment and favors is not capitalism, if anything it's a weak variant of fascism. But I truly don't want to get off on that tangent.
fair enough!

G

Graybrew1

I am off to sleepytime for now, but I will check the thread tomorrow.
Goodnight all, it was fun. :biggrin:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

In a way, yes it is, but it has been the "methodology" of "artists" for a VERY long time Shaved. I recall back in High school we were given an exam question for english ant the question read (along the lines of of course) "Where did Lewis Carrol find the inspiration for Alice in Wonderland"
Now, My Teacher wanted some kind of in depth subjective analysis of his work with reference to not only Alice in Wonderland but through the looking glass as well. I wrote a one word response, "Drugs". Unsuprisingly I "failed" that section, I did however have a damn fine argument with my teacher afterwards which resulted in the conclusion that while I may have been "technically correct" the teacher was not allowed to accept the response. :P

OMNI

The poor were poor in slums in Europe during the Victorian era of wealth, they were in slums in the US during the 80's. The are in slums Jamaica today even though their tourism industry brings in millions and millions to that country. They are all equally wrong.

That is not being debated. I have stated several times that I believe all politicians are corrupt. My country is not the only one included in that statement but is probably one of the worst. I agree about that. That just was not the point of the argument.
when that is how the majorty of the people live it CANNOT be defined as a time of wealth and surplus imo,

Bluce Ree

That's a pretty accurate comparison when you think about it.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

What tangent, you are discussing economic/political/religious theory in a thread called "how was your day?"
Sheesh :laughing:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
How do you solve the problem of who's going to watch the watchers?

Well you were onto the answer when you said government should run certain things. Think about it, a few decades ago the government ran the military and that included all the things that Halliburton supplies. There was nothing wrong with that system from what I can tell and I don't understand the need to privatize the supply sector of the military (food, clothing, etc.). They try to justify it with excuses like "Well these poor guys are out in the theater of war so they deserve a Big Mac when they get back to base". Funny how millions of soldiers did just fine without freaking Pizza Hut to welcome them back from the rice paddies or the Hinterlands. It's all a bunch of crap but I don't see it changing anytime soon.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I am off to sleepytime for now, but I will check the thread tomorrow.
Goodnight all, it was fun. :biggrin:

Goodnight!...

Okay guys, what outfit is GB going to be wearing tomorrow? Any guesses? :D

OMNI

Well you were onto the answer when you said government should run certain things. Think about it, a few decades ago the government ran the military and that included all the things that Halliburton supplies. There was nothing wrong with that system from what I can tell and I don't understand the need to privatize the supply sector of the military (food, clothing, etc.). They try to justify it with excuses like "Well these poor guys are out in the theater of war so they deserve a Big Mac when they get back to base". Funny how millions of soldiers did just fine without freaking Pizza Hut to welcome them back from the rice paddies or the Hinterlands. It's all a bunch of crap but I don't see it changing anytime soon.
same here, but i dont understand the need to privatize a great many other things either.