So how was your day?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
agreeing with apes statement on first bolded.

and as for seconf have you ever stopped to think WHY they want you all dead? :facepalm:

Their reasons for wanting us dead are not relevant here. What's at issue is the impugning of our rights to individual sovereignty when no need exists. We can be safe yet still be free, still respect the rights laid out in our Constitution. Hell, even if we didn't have a constitution our rights would still exist and there would be no reason to infringe them. As Bluce pointed out many other countries have efficient and successful security operations so why America can't figure out how to do it the same way is a mystery. Passing laws restricting the rights of humans does nothing in this situation except cause havoc. Efficiently and intelligently operating a security force is what works in the long run.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I was referencing "On Writing" but I don't recall him admitting that he had someone else write for him. I'll have to go reread that section. It's been a few years but my impression was that he said his drinking (drug use?) had gotten out of hand and that's why his writing suffered.
Hmm, no one has "Ghosted" for steve AFAIK, but the drugs and alcohol were never the problem with his writing. IIRC, Insomnia is the first book he wrote while "clean" and alot of it was inspired by his own problems due to breaking the cycle of abuse. (if you were wondering, Stevieboy was a bit of a coke fiend) My timing may be off of course, this is from memory and mine is shakey at best sometimes, but it "feels" right to me.

For what it's worth that book, "On Writing", is quite good as writing instruction goes. King still comes off as a smug twat in places, but he's tolerable if what one wants is good writing advice.

Indeed
He copped alot of flack for that book from critics, but alot of them in the end "saw the light" and got over that SK is and never pretended to be anything but a "popular author". He never said "I'm the shizznit, I KNOW how to do stuff", he merely said "this works for me"

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
i def agree with you there and over tha last 20 years or so my country has and is going down this path privatising EVERYTHING and letting corporations move in and run them AND make PROFIT on taxcpayer money.. wth is that? taxes are payed by the people to be used to the benifit of the people not venture capitalist corporations to make even more profit off of IMO. And yes corporations are given priority over us regular folk BC somewhere someone thought that constant growth and constantly maximising profit somehow makes it better for the common man? :facepalm:

this is why i hate the right and crap like the "trickle down theory" imo they dont giva a flying F about the common man or want to make life better for everyone they want to make their own wallets fatter and emply us common folk as slaves all for the benifit of their egos..

Halliburton was granted a no-bid contract for the war in Iraq. Rather than being watched by a government appointed oversight committee to make sure there was no abuse, they were left to their own devices. The result was price gouging, like soft drinks priced at a few bucks a can and selling gas to the military at prices higher than you see at the pump, even though it was available from neighboring Saudi or Kuwait for less than a buck a gallon.

Capitalism works when it's not abused and left to fester in its greed. This country has proven time and time again that certain industries need to be heavily regulated and/or government run.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Their reasons for wanting us dead are not relevant here. What's at issue is the impugning of our rights to individual sovereignty when no need exists. We can be safe yet still be free, still respect the rights laid out in our Constitution. Hell, even if we didn't have a constitution our rights would still exist and there would be no reason to infringe them. As Bluce pointed out many other countries have efficient and successful security operations so why America can't figure out how to do it the same way is a mystery. Passing laws restricting the rights of humans does nothing in this situation except cause havoc. Efficiently and intelligently operating a security force is what works in the long run.
Agreed!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

I thought the issue was "how was your day........ :P "

OMNI

Halliburton was granted a no-bid contract for the war in Iraq. Rather than being watched by a government appointed oversight committee to make sure there was no abuse, they were left to their own devices. The result was price gouging, like soft drinks priced at a few bucks a can and selling gas to the military at prices higher than you see at the pump, even though it was available from neighboring Saudi or Kuwait for less than a buck a gallon.

Capitalism works when it's not abused and left to fester in its greed. This country has proven time and time again that certain industries need to be heavily regulated and/or government run.
oh i know all about halliburton and what traspired there..

as for bolded yes i agree, for me personally tho it scares me that contries like my own who has previously had a functioning form of capitaism is now mirroring what you guys are doing and have been for a long time and by the time im an old fart everything will have gone to hell.

G

Graybrew1

agreeing with apes statement on first bolded.

and as for seconf have you ever stopped to think WHY they want you all dead? :facepalm:

Yes, It is religion based.
The extremists want all Infidels dead. If you are not a part of that religion you are fair game.

Ask yourself what is behind the IRA? Relgion. It is the worst possible answer because people will gladly die to support their religious beliefs. The bloodiest wars in this world have been religious wars.

Bluce Ree

I don't argue with the point that they should get more help from the other countries, but it also does agree with my original point as to why they are so adept at it compared to us.

I don't think we were that financially sound. The TSA was created after 9/11. We immediately started spending overseas. I also feel bad for you about your problems with the Miama TSA, I don't like Miami airport. I have had bad experiences there with the airline personnel there. Perhaps the TSA are worse there as well, I did not have any problems there with them personally.

It is all my opinion. It is my opinion that they are underpaid. The entire post is my opinion. I am not sure how saying it is "stating it as fact". I stated it and it is my opinion. I am not privy to their exact salaries and so it would have to be an opinion.

Ok. :)

In 2001, we were just coming out of the Clinton era of surpluses. Bush hadn't yet buried the US in debt. Instead of making airport security a federal law enforcement agency, they farmed it out to a private corporation, as Ape pointed out. Anything to do with public safety belongs in government hands, IMO. Farming out public safety is a recipe for disaster.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Hmm, no one has "Ghosted" for steve AFAIK, but the drugs and alcohol were never the problem with his writing. IIRC, Insomnia is the first book he wrote while "clean" and alot of it was inspired by his own problems due to breaking the cycle of abuse. (if you were wondering, Stevieboy was a bit of a coke fiend) My timing may be off of course, this is from memory and mine is shakey at best sometimes, but it "feels" right to me.

Indeed
He copped alot of flack for that book from critics, but alot of them in the end "saw the light" and got over that SK is and never pretended to be anything but a "popular author". He never said "I'm the shizznit, I KNOW how to do stuff", he merely said "this works for me"

Yeah but how do you explain the difference between Needful Things and Insomnia? Needful Things was 1991 and Insomnia came out in 1994. They were so different in terms of clarity and efficiency and general plotting. And there's other examples too of course since so much has been cranked out under his name. It's like one book he's fairly lucid and the next he's stream of consciousness crazy. I just don't get how the same man could be that schizophrenic. Perhaps my editor theory has some merit. Like all successful writers King has had editors missing in action but who knows, maybe one or two of them really worked on certain projects of his to make them clearer and more coherent.

Oh, and Dreamcatcher was a steaming pile of poop. Wasn't he supposed to be clean and sober by the time he wrote that dog?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
oh i know all about halliburton and what traspired there..

as for bolded yes i agree, for me personally tho it scares me that contries like my own who has previously had a functioning form of capitaism is now mirroring what you guys are doing and have been for a long time and by the time im an old fart everything will have gone to hell.

My ONLY comment on this issue, that is exactly what I think as well OMNI.
Shutting up again.

G

Graybrew1

Ok. :)

In 2001, we were just coming out of the Clinton era of surpluses. Bush hadn't yet buried the US in debt. Instead of making airport security a federal law enforcement agency, they farmed it out to a private corporation, as Ape pointed out. Anything to do with public safety belongs in government hands, IMO. Farming out public safety is a recipe for disaster.

haha, You mean the era of surpluses that was created by Reagan's Trickle Down theory that Clinton did nothing to garner and/or further and rode the coat tails on?

Yes, but we did instantly start pumping millions of dollars into the Military. Instantly. The TSA was created in November 2001.

OMNI

Yes, It is religion based.
The extremists want all Infidels dead. If you are not a part of that religion you are fair game.

Ask yourself what is behind the IRA? Relgion. It is the worst possible answer because people will gladly die to support their religious beliefs. The bloodiest wars in this world have been religious wars.
religion is only a part of it a small part.

OMNI

haha, You mean the era of surpluses that was created by Reagan's Trickle Down theory that Clinton did nothing to garner and/or further and rode the coat tails on?

Yes, but we did instantly start pumping millions of dollars into the Military. Instantly. The TSA was created in November 2001.
yes and how was life for the poorest in your country at that time eh? what i see in my head whan i think about those times are projects in new york in ruins.. economical growth and surplus my arse.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Yeah but how do you explain the difference between Needful Things and Insomnia? Needful Things was 1991 and Insomnia came out in 1994. They were so different in terms of clarity and efficiency and general plotting. And there's other examples too of course since so much has been cranked out under his name. It's like one book he's fairly lucid and the next he's stream of consciousness crazy. I just don't get how the same man could be that schizophrenic. Perhaps my editor theory has some merit. Like all successful writers King has had editors missing in action but who knows, maybe one or two of them really worked on certain projects of his to make them clearer and more coherent.

Again going from memory :P
Only 2 books came out in between the 2, Geralds Game and Delorous Claiborne, both of which have very heavy "entrapment" style themes, which very well could have been an "Exorcising the demons" kind of deal. I don't see it as "schizophrenic" so much as a massive lifestyle change at the time.
As to the editor, he has pretty much kept the same ones for long stretches IIRC as well.

Oh, and Dreamcatcher was a steaming pile of poop. Wasn't he supposed to be clean and sober by the time he wrote that dog?
Yes, but that is sorta the point. His best work was IMHO when he WAS "on the drugs", the subject matter really lends itself to the scene, and quitting may have given him the literary equivalent to bad Acid flashbacks :P

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

I know I'm nitpicking here but what we're discussing isn't truly capitalism, it's a horrible mix of government cronyism and favoritism given to a select few. I agree that there needs to be oversight but have doubts about a government appointed oversight committee. Think about it, Halliburton got the contract because of government officials to begin with (Dick Cheney just one of them, who, incidentally, is one of the "owners" of Halliburton). How do we know these government officials on the oversight committee won't be corrupt also? Who is going to watch the watchers?

But yes, a better system needs to be implemented or rather, the old system needs to be reimplemented. As you said some "industries" need to be government run and the military is obviously a government entity. Mixing in corporate elements is detrimental.

Hell, even President Eisenhower back in the 50's warned against the "military-industrial complex". Too bad we didn't listen to him, eh?

G

Graybrew1

if you had the benifit of seeing your countrys actions from the outside you'd know what i was talking about.

I understand you have strong feelings on this matter. I value our friendship and don't want to upset you. I do find faults with my nation. I have never stated that I did not. But I still love my country, because it is my country.

Bluce Ree

No, no, no, no NO! This isn't a political debate! I purposely called it the Clinton era surplus, not the Clinton surplus. It means there was surplus during his two terms. It doesn't imply he had anything to do with it. :icon_lol:

Money flowed. Halliburton was paid handsomely for their rare cans of exotic soft drinks and magic gas. TSA was served a rotten egg salad sandwich because, frankly, airport security was not priority but they had to make people believe something was being done. :D