Settling Into the New Place...

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Got a roomba, since I hate vacuuming. Specifically the 780, which is designed to deal with things like pet hair and has two HEPA filters.

Damn, but it does a good job (as long as you have it run everyday, that is).

The cats and dogs aren't quite sure yet what to think, but there has been no barking or hissing about it from them.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Got a roomba, since I hate vacuuming. Specifically the 780, which is designed to deal with things like pet hair and has two HEPA filters.

Damn, but it does a good job (as long as you have it run everyday, that is).

The cats and dogs aren't quite sure yet what to think, but there has been no barking or hissing about it from them.

Whats a roomba? Im already having pet hair problems (hair on towels, collecting in corners, etc.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
A roomba is a robot vacuum cleaner. You program it to clean at a particular time and it does its thing.

They are, appropriately, I think, sold by a company called iRobot.

One would assume the Asimov Family Trust is getting a hefty donation for that. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
A roomba is a robot vacuum cleaner. You program it to clean at a particular time and it does its thing.

They are, appropriately, I think, sold by a company called iRobot.

One would assume the Asimov Family Trust is getting a hefty donation for that. ;)

Im gettin one! My boys are leaving hair all over the place even though brush them. Does it work well? How often to empty, etc? I see the cost but its still okay for what it does. I was contemplating hiring a maid at first. This would be a LOT less than that.

G

Graybrew1

Im gettin one! My boys are leaving hair all over the place even though brush them. Does it work well? How often to empty, etc? I see the cost but its still okay for what it does. I was contemplating hiring a maid at first. This would be a LOT less than that.
I had a Roomba, it sucked, or rather it did not suck enough.
I spent more time cleaning the brushes than anything else.

I got rid of mine last year.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Initially, you'll have to empty it more often, since you'll be catching up on old "dirt", but over time, it ends up being a bit easier on the clean-out end of things.

We're emptying it maybe two times now when it's doing its thing. Initially, it was much more than that, as our unit has new carpet, so it's grabbing a lot of new carpet lint. LOL Again, we're having it do it on a daily basis and have it set for nighttime (and no, it doesn't wake me up, and even after all these years, I still have "Mommy Ear").

We have two dogs and two cats and it's doing a good job. (We have that awful pale camel carpet they keep insisting on putting in apartments).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I had a Roomba, it sucked, or rather it did not suck enough.
I spent more time cleaning the brushes than anything else.

I got rid of mine last year.

Considering its size, I am not surprised to hear this. But right now I am having to spend at least an hour getting the hair off the floor. :(

Initially, you'll have to empty it more often, since you'll be catching up on old "dirt", but over time, it ends up being a bit easier on the clean-out end of things.

We're emptying it maybe two times now when it's doing its thing. Initially, it was much more than that, as our unit has new carpet, so it's grabbing a lot of new carpet lint. LOL Again, we're having it do it on a daily basis and have it set for nighttime (and no, it doesn't wake me up, and even after all these years, I still have "Mommy Ear").

We have two dogs and two cats and it's doing a good job. (We have that awful pale camel carpet they keep insisting on putting in apartments).

I have wood floors, but I will soon have some large rugs on them. My boys are making lots of hair on the floors even after brushing. The roomba might be cool but at almost $500, it better be exceptional!

G

Graybrew1

It depends on the amount of fur you are going to have. I can say that 3 cats and 3 dogs, 2 of which of long haired beasts are way too much for the poor thing. The two kittys you have could be a whole different story.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
You folks need to get a hairless breed like Dr. Evil had.

csm7-1.jpg

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
You folks need to get a hairless breed like Dr. Evil had.

View attachment 7663

Couple things:

I'd just like to point out that I'm really restraining myself here from commenting on the pic. The "hairless feline" is just begging for a crude joke or two, but... I'm better than that and this is the general forum area and, well, I'm not Dutch so I'll keep it clean...for now. :icon10:

As for cleaning up pet fur, oy! Years ago I worked for a cleaning company and had some clients that had a bunch of dogs, all long haired breeds. It was a middle-aged gay couple with a large, fully carpeted, old house in a "historic" part of town. Of course their dogs were their "babies" so they had the run of the house (except when I was cleaning). Literally every week I would fill an entire Electrolux vacuum bag with dog hair (fur). I'm serious, it was every week! I would vacuum for 5 hours -- yes, 5 (five) hours every time I went there. This included all the furniture, sofa cushions, etc. It was insane! I love dogs but shit, this long-haired stuff is a non-starter for me now, lol.

So, my advice is to hire a cleaning lady (or guy) and make sure you've got a good vacuum for them to use (or that they have one of their own that is good at picking up fur). Also, make sure they're not robbing you blind while in your home (the cleaning people, not the cats, after all, cats don't steal much as they don't have pockets and can't really hide your pilfered prescription medicine very easily -- just FYI).

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

Illiterati- I don't think a good mom ever loses the "mommy ear"...my daughter can whisper "Mom" upstairs and I swear I can hear her in the kitchen with the tv and garbage disposal on! :)

Couple things:

I'd just like to point out that I'm really restraining myself here from commenting on the pic. The "hairless feline" is just begging for a crude joke or two, but... I'm better than that and this is the general forum area and, well, I'm not Dutch so I'll keep it clean...for now. :icon10:

As for cleaning up pet fur, oy! Years ago I worked for a cleaning company and had some clients that had a bunch of dogs, all long haired breeds. It was a middle-aged gay couple with a large, fully carpeted, old house in a "historic" part of town. Of course their dogs were their "babies" so they had the run of the house (except when I was cleaning). Literally every week I would fill an entire Electrolux vacuum bag with dog hair (fur). I'm serious, it was every week! I would vacuum for 5 hours -- yes, 5 (five) hours every time I went there. This included all the furniture, sofa cushions, etc. It was insane! I love dogs but shit, this long-haired stuff is a non-starter for me now, lol.

So, my advice is to hire a cleaning lady (or guy) and make sure you've got a good vacuum for them to use (or that they have one of their own that is good at picking up fur). Also, make sure they're not robbing you blind while in your home (the cleaning people, not the cats, after all, cats don't steal much as they don't have pockets and can't really hide your pilfered prescription medicine very easily -- just FYI).

^^^^^^this is why I don't have any pets other than my hubby (he purrs :wink:). one of my friends bought a home that had been foreclosed on as an investment and OMG was it nasty-- the people had pets and let them "go" anywhere and everywhere. He actually hired a professional cleaning company to clean it out! he had to replace all of the carpeting, most of the stairtreads, assorted subflooring all over the place...well you get the idea! NASTYYYY! what was amazing was the house had only been built three years earlier! it was like they had NEVER cleaned up after their pets once they moved in. :smiley-015:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Illiterati- I don't think a good mom ever loses the "mommy ear"...my daughter can whisper "Mom" upstairs and I swear I can hear her in the kitchen with the tv and garbage disposal on! :)

^^^^^^this is why I don't have any pets other than my hubby (he purrs :wink:). one of my friends bought a home that had been foreclosed on as an investment and OMG was it nasty-- the people had pets and let them "go" anywhere and everywhere. He actually hired a professional cleaning company to clean it out! he had to replace all of the carpeting, most of the stairtreads, assorted subflooring all over the place...well you get the idea! NASTYYYY! what was amazing was the house had only been built three years earlier! it was like they had NEVER cleaned up after their pets once they moved in. :smiley-015:

Awwww. There is no "Daddy ear" as far as I know. :( But fathers always seem to know when something is not quite right. :) That home you described makes me wince just describing it.:nightmare:

I want this thing because I am sick of finding cat hairs on my shoes, around the bottom of my desk and bed. I found a MUCH cheaper one for about $200 which has great reviews so I will pass on the iRobot version and give it a go.

SciphonicStranger

Couple things:

Yeah, I sorta hung that one out there in memory of our Dutch friend. :biggrin:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, I sorta hung that one out there in memory of our Dutch friend. :biggrin:

Frankly, I am VERY surprised he did not bite! Bald kitties, stroking the cat, etc...it should have been like catnip to him. :glee:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I miss him here too.:(

Why wont he come back? PM me if you know the answer. As far as I can tell, his issue was with negativity and I have not seen much here in a while. I have been here less because I am not fully connected. I am still using my phone tether to come here until my internet is set up at home, and at work my visits have to be limited.

SciphonicStranger

Why wont he come back? PM me if you know the answer. As far as I can tell, his issue was with negativity and I have not seen much here in a while. I have been here less because I am not fully connected. I am still using my phone tether to come here until my internet is set up at home, and at work my visits have to be limited.

We fixed that with the Super Duper Positive thread. And I'm surprised he hasn't been back as that was the greatest thread in internet history evah! :rapture:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
My theory is they don't have Internet connections in Dutch prisons. :robertcooper:

SciphonicStranger

My theory is they don't have Internet connections in Dutch prisons. :robertcooper:

Hmmm, according to the interwebs they look like this... Looks better than living in a windmill.

cell_1399176a.jpg

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Hmmm, according to the interwebs they look like this... Looks better than living in a windmill.

View attachment 7664

Propaganda the Dutch Ministry of Propaganda and Penny Candy puts out to make us all think it's a worker's paradise there. Don't believe the pics and don't eat the candy. Trust me on this. :beaten: