Sci-Fi/Supenatural etc - Japanese Anime

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Do you guys know any cool Japanese anime? Been watching Death note and that's seriously awesome! also thinking of watching bleach as well. Please no sailor moon or girly or toddler stuff.

Thanks

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Err, we have threads for this, but what are you into C.A?

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Whoops my bad and Oh any types well written ones. Death note is very well written like those kinds

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
No "bad" involved, bud :P

Bleach is apparently quite good, but I have not seen it myself.
What I mean is what genre of anime do you like?
Beserk is an awesome series, but if you are not a fan of "historical/fantasy" you might not like it, Beebop is cool, but if you don't like "semi-stand alone" stories, you might not like it either.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
They run Bleach on Cartoon Network usually on Saturday nights (and possibly other nights). I sometimes catch it but it's hard to keep up since I don't know the full story and all the players. I have watched a fair amount of Full Metal Alchemist which is bizarre but also good at the same time. The main characters are a couple of kids but it's not a kiddy show if that makes sense. It's pretty mature in terms of dealing with life and death and killing people off. Hard to describe what it's about though.

A couple years ago I watched Noein and also Tokko, both of which were very bizarre and good although Noein dealt more with kids, but that was because of a weird time-line, multi-verse thing.

Cartoon Network is also running anime versions of Wolverine and Xmen, but to be honest I don't find them that good. I'm probably biased towards the more traditional versions of those characters.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Just use this, anime-planet.com

Type in an anime you've watched and liked, it'll give you ones that are similar and there are reviews done by other people that you can read. Also there is a 'tag' search available, use the advanced search to search multiple tags or even exclude certain tags.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
No "bad" involved, bud :P

Bleach is apparently quite good, but I have not seen it myself.
What I mean is what genre of anime do you like?
Beserk is an awesome series, but if you are not a fan of "historical/fantasy" you might not like it, Beebop is cool, but if you don't like "semi-stand alone" stories, you might not like it either.

Cool will check it out but like I said I'm open to anything except for some childish type. I don't mind sci-fi/fantasy and supernatural stuff as well.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Beserk is............Definately not childish. (though the out-takes are funny) :P
It's more a "semi-historical" series as it is mostly about a mercenary company fighting in a war between to opposing kingdoms, so no overt "magic" as such, but there are "supernatural" elements to it.
Watch it and judge for yourself I guess, It's only around 18-20 1/2 hour eps long, so you caould even marathon it in a day if you really dig it.