Renewal and Cancellation news

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Did I or did I not say that Summer Glau was the kiss of death for most TV shows??? :grumpy:

Believe it or not this show actually grew on me. I thought at first that it would be a Xmen ripoff and total turd but it was fairly well scripted and fairly well acted. I wonder what the production budget was because they did over 1 million for the season finale. That isn't too shabby for SyFy so all I can assume is that it was costing too much to produce in terms of return on investment. As it is the cast was very large and they did tons of location shooting.

Oh well, I'm sure Ghost Mine will more than make up for any disappointment we feel towards losing a scripted show on SyFy. :stung:

I am pretty sure Defiance won't survive that long either...I give it maximum 2 seasons until syfy decides to pull the plug on it. .

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I am pretty sure Defiance won't survive that long either...I give it maximum 2 seasons until syfy decides to pull the plug on it. .

I have to agree with you. Just from seeing the trailers and the commercials I can tell it won't last long, which is a shame because it has some very good actors in the cast. Grant Bowler, Julie Benz, Jaime Murray -- all are really good at making compelling characters to watch. Still, I don't give this one a long shelf life.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I have to agree with you. Just from seeing the trailers and the commercials I can tell it won't last long, which is a shame because it has some very good actors in the cast. Grant Bowler, Julie Benz, Jaime Murray -- all are really good at making compelling characters to watch. Still, I don't give this one a long shelf life.
The trailers for defiance still haven't captured me either if I'm honest but I am still going to give the show a shot but again, it's not the quality of content that will be the problem here. It's how much money syfy can make from advertisement.

Here is the other thing too; I think syfy network is dying and it's trying desperately to stay on air. Syfy has gone from allowing anywhere from 22-24 episodes, down to just 12-13 episodes. That should indicate that the network is trying desperately to stay afloat. This could explain why BSG series wasn't greenlite either because it would absolutely empty their cashflow. I wouldn't be surprised if we start to just see 6-8 episodes a season too.

Then again, I wouldn't show any sympathy , if the entire network did go into administration. They deserve it.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
An update of the renew/cancel status of genre shows. I think I've got them all on here.

ABC
Once Upon a Time - Renewal all but confirmed
666 Park Avenue - Cancelled

CBS
No genre shows

NBC
Grimm - Renewal all but confirmed
Revolution - Renewal all but confirmed

FOX
Fringe - Ended
Touch - Tossup

CW
The Vampire Diaries - Renewal all but confirmed
Arrow - Renewal all but confirmed
Supernatural - Renewal all but confirmed

Cable
The Walking Melodramatic Dead - Renewed for 4th season
American Horror Story - Renewed for 3rd season
Game of Thrones - Renewed for 3rd season
True Blood - Renewed for 6th season
Teen Wolf - Renewed for 3rd season
Alphas - Cancelled
Haven - Renewed for 4th season
Lost Girl - Renewed for 3rd season
Warehouse 13 - Tossup
Falling Skies Quality - Renewed for 3rd season
Continuum - Renewed for 2nd Season

Also, it's not a genre show, but I just thought I'd mention that The Killing has been uncancelled by AMC and is going to be back for a 12-episode third season.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Also, it's not a genre show, but I just thought I'd mention that The Killing has been uncancelled by AMC and is going to be back for a 12-episode third season.

Hmm, I know a certain Dutch man who would find this to be good news. ;)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
what is interesting is that now it's been cancelled Last Resort is getting more and more interesting and getting into the "whys" of what's happening! :P
Last Resort did a credible attempt at finishing up the show with a final episode. It was obviously rushed but wound up several storylines and killed off my fave character (*sniff sniff*) but he died with honor so it's okay. I hope more shows do this when they get the axe if possible instead of leaving us hanging.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Last Resort did a credible attempt at finishing up the show with a final episode. It was obviously rushed but wound up several storylines and killed off my fave character (*sniff sniff*) but he died with honor so it's okay. I hope more shows do this when they get the axe if possible instead of leaving us hanging.

Well you know that a lot of shows don't have the luxury of being in production when the axe falls. And when they do it usually feels rushed and unsatisfying. I guess it is nice for fans of whatever show is dying but it would be better if they were able to at least have a couple episodes to make the resolution seem more realistic.

And on a completely different matter, anyone know what's going on with Elementary? The general consensus here was that we didn't care for this version of Sherlock Holmes. I, for one, thought it would die a quick death but now I see that it's really being pumped hard with promotions all over the place. They're even airing it right after the Superbowl which means it should get good ratings.

Now, I don't want to be a hater, especially since I like Jonny Lee Miller as an actor, but I just figured this show wasn't that good. Maybe I'll give it another chance, we'll have to see. At any rate though, I'm curious to know if it has been successful enough that it will be renewed? (ESA -- that's your que! :anim_59:)
--- merged: Feb 1, 2013 at 12:00 PM ---
??? SGA?? umm WHAAAAAAAT? you cant be serious that that BS drivel shitty last episode was a thoughtfull way of wrapping the show?

I have to agree about the SGA finale. It was lousy. It also became evident that TPTB were focusing on SGU and couldn't be bothered to give SGA a decent burial.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
^ Elementary is actually doing quite well in the ratings and appears to be a lock for renewal. Which is a shame since it happens to be a huge steaming pile of African wild ass* shit.

*I just had to throw that animal in there, since it has one of the most brilliant names in the history of all animals. :icon_lol:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
??? SGA?? umm WHAAAAAAAT? you cant be serious that that BS drivel shitty last episode was a thoughtfull way of wrapping the show?
nope--but since this forum is "gatefans" i tend to include sg1 and sga as a matter of form :love_heart:

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
^ Elementary is actually doing quite well in the ratings and appears to be a lock for renewal. Which is a shame since it happens to be a huge steaming pile of African wild ass* shit.

*I just had to throw that animal in there, since it has one of the most brilliant names in the history of all animals. :icon_lol:

Indeed its not captivating at all compared to the british version which is much much better even though the quality of the video is filmed in american way rather than british way.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Being Human (the UK version) has been cancelled. It couldn't survive the loss of the original characters, I guess. Now if only they'd cancel the US version, too! ...sigh...
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/02/07/being-human-uk-cancelled-by-bbc/168689/

To be honest I thought the show had ended already with the departure of Annie, the last of the original cast. Believe it or not I didn't hate the new main characters but it was a lot to ask of fans to shift their affections to totally new people. And really, how many times can we watch a tortured male vampire anguish over his history? It was one thing to do that with Mitchell but then they asked us to do it all over again with Hal. It felt a bit like being on a hamster wheel.

And don't get me going on the US version of the show. :beckett_new050:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
An update of the renew/cancel status of genre shows. I think I've got them all on here.

ABC

CBS
No genre shows

NBC

FOX
Fringe - Ended
Touch - Tossup

CW
The Vampire Diaries - Renewal all but confirmed
Arrow - Renewal all but confirmed
Supernatural - Renewal all but confirmed

Cable
Alphas - Cancelled
Warehouse 13 - Tossup

Wait...Falling Skies is still on the air? I thought sure that one was bear snacks. I have an entire season to catch up on!

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Due to the renewals of Arrow, Supernatural & The Vampire Diaries, as well as a few series/season premieres, here's an updated version of the list

ABC
Last Resort - Cancelled
Zero Hour - Cancellation certain*

CBS
No genre shows

NBC
Community - Tossup

FOX
Fringe - Ended
Touch - Cancellation certain
The Following - Renewal all but confirmed

CW
The Vampire Diaries - Renewed for 5th season
Arrow - Renewed for 2nd season
Supernatural - Renewed for 9th season
Beauty and the Beast - Renewal likely
Cult - Tossup, series yet to premiere
Nikita - Renewal likely

Cable
Alphas - Cancelled
Warehouse 13 - Tossup
Being Human (US) - Renewed for 3rd season

*I know that only one episode has aired of Zero Hour, but with the truly abysmal 1.3 rating it got for its pilot, I don't see a bright future for this show at all.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
How did Arrow get renewed??? As teen angst faux-drama goes it's still a steaming turd.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

TOTALLY agree with this. The last SGA episode was probably penned on an ass gasket in a toilet stall at the studio whilst straining. It was thrown together and the Wormhole Drive thing was so out there I facepalmed multiple times. They completely ruined the finale IMO.