"Raspberry Pi" anyone? (tech geeks in here please)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs

What’s a Raspberry Pi?
The Raspberry Pi is a credit-card sized computer that plugs into your TV and a keyboard. It’s a capable little PC which can be used for many of the things your desktop PC does, like spreadsheets, word-processing and games. It also plays high-definition video. We want to see it being used by kids all over the world to learn programming.

Lots more info on the website link. A $25 computer -- seriously. I'll take two! :D

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I love tech. :biggrin:
But it sounds too good to be true. :confused:

It's primarily being developed as a charitable "educational" device for children although there's a HUGE amount of interest from people in general. It's just a small "board" (I don't think it's even cased to be honest) that you plug into a TV or monitor and a keyboard and you have a computer, all for $25 ($35 for more features). The important thing is that it will (hopefully) lower the cost of computers in general in the long run. Plus it's very portable as it's the size of a credit card basically.

It doesn't have a lot of RAM and a few other things, but supposedly it can run video good enough for games and has a Wifi option (you need a USB dongle). Still, it's incredibly cheap if you think about it. I love the idea of using my TV as a computer and this makes that much easier and much cheaper to do than any other option.

I don't think it's out yet though even though they were aiming for a December release. It may not be the greatest thing in computing to be honest but for the price of a good restaurant meal you can own one, which makes it very appealing.

G

Graybrew1

It's primarily being developed as a charitable "educational" device for children although there's a HUGE amount of interest from people in general. It's just a small "board" (I don't think it's even cased to be honest) that you plug into a TV or monitor and a keyboard and you have a computer, all for $25 ($35 for more features). The important thing is that it will (hopefully) lower the cost of computers in general in the long run. Plus it's very portable as it's the size of a credit card basically.

It doesn't have a lot of RAM and a few other things, but supposedly it can run video good enough for games and has a Wifi option (you need a USB dongle). Still, it's incredibly cheap if you think about it. I love the idea of using my TV as a computer and this makes that much easier and much cheaper to do than any other option.

I don't think it's out yet though even though they were aiming for a December release. It may not be the greatest thing in computing to be honest but for the price of a good restaurant meal you can own one, which makes it very appealing.

I agree, but.... I just got a "smart tv" that has internet built into it, for much more than 25 or 35 dollars about 6 months ago. I am just hoping this is not what is sitting in my tv that I spent a few hundred extra dollars for. :rolleyes:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I agree, but.... I just got a "smart tv" that has internet built into it, for much more than 25 or 35 dollars about 6 months ago. I am just hoping this is not what is sitting in my tv that I spent a few hundred extra dollars for. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't worry. Your TV is probably much more advanced than the Raspberry Pi. I think the big expectation with the $25 computer is that it will be open source and (hopefully) will be able to be modded and enhanced per individual desires. As it is it can be soldered and worked on since it's not encased, and when they do offer a case for it they plan to have it designed so you can open it up and work on the circuitry if need be. It's sort of the new version of the ham radio thing, ya know, build your own type of thing for hobbyists even though they claim they are doing it for educational purposes for children.

Interestingly they couldn't produce it in England due to the production taxes being so high. If they build it in say Taiwan and then import it to Great Britain they don't pay any import tax. They wanted to build it in England but the tax system is as screwed up as ours is here and they were forced to outsource it to Asia. I know I'm digressing here but just had to point that out. We're economically stupid in the West and it's only getting worse, sigh... :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This unit sounds like a Roku with a bit of a brain. Good idea for the average computer user, but I dont see any application for business using this thing. Interesting concept! Still, a phone with a real USB port and HDMI out would do more.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
This unit sounds like a Roku with a bit of a brain. Good idea for the average computer user, but I dont see any application for business using this thing. Interesting concept! Still, a phone with a real USB port and HDMI out would do more.

Right, but I think the appeal of this thing is the low cost. Plus I think a lot of people are expecting to be able to mod it easily to their specifications. And yeah, there is something about Roku in their info. I don't understand all the technical terms but from what I gather they are using the same type of circuitry as Roku. I think the big problem is the lack of RAM available.

At any rate, for $25-$35 it might make for a fun thing to play around with. And hopefully the development of this low cost computer will affect the prices of across the board in the long run. Win/win for the consumer. :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Right, but I think the appeal of this thing is the low cost. Plus I think a lot of people are expecting to be able to mod it easily to their specifications. And yeah, there is something about Roku in their info. I don't understand all the technical terms but from what I gather they are using the same type of circuitry as Roku. I think the big problem is the lack of RAM available.

At any rate, for $25-$35 it might make for a fun thing to play around with. And hopefully the development of this low cost computer will affect the prices of across the board in the long run. Win/win for the consumer. :D

I like this concept. You could attach it to a hotel TV, and it could easily be used in place of a netbook, provided you had a way to output the video. I would like to see this thing used in conjunction with a smartphone!