Random Banter

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You know, it can be a pain trying to find the right section to post a new thread around here. Why do we have to be pigeon-holed into selecting a particular streaming platform in order to be able to post about a particular TV show? In my opinion, it just brings an additional barrier. In order to encourage posting, it should be made as simple as possible. There are plenty of shows also which start on one platform but then move to a different platform. Does that mean that those threads will get moved around as well? I doubt it. Then, looking at it from a visitor's perspective, if I want to see what shows are being discussed, does it make sense to have to select a particular platform? I don't believe it does. And then one would have to go through each streaming platform to see which shows are related to that.
Hi!

Just post on the root: https://www.gatefans.net/gforums/forums/streaming-services.1951/

Once OM is back more we can discuss reorganizing the streaming section - maybe by genre?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Hi!

Just post on the root: https://www.gatefans.net/gforums/forums/streaming-services.1951/

Once OM is back more we can discuss reorganizing the streaming section - maybe by genre?
I think that's overcomplicating things too. You'll constantly be wondering, should this show be in THIS category or in THAT category? Each show should just have one thread with the title of that thread being the name of the show as it is mentioned on IMDb. Have all the shows in one big subforum together. Division in genres and/or streaming platforms should really be done with tags instead of forum structure. The same is true for movies by the way. Although it is understandable that for IPs like Star Trek, Star Wars and Stargate, there would be dedicated subforums, given the extensiveness of their catalogs, each with various TV shows and movies.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
By the way, does IMDb already have genre information for each movie and TV show? If so, maybe those tags could somehow be automated.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Well thank god for nixing indoor vaping, if that is indeed the case. I hate people vaping indoors. I hate it when people's vape clouds get to me outside as well. Damn vapers.
For someone like me, it can put me into a coughing fit with one cloud of the stuff. I hate to say this, but they should at least be contained in their own ventilated areas.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Time to a completely different bitch session.

Due to covid, the Belfast consulate closed for anything but emergencies and no longer did any notary services......they are now fully open again, but yet still won't do the notary services. The Dublin one has no opening for 6 weeks.

So, now, I have to go to a freakin UK notary and pay 30 pounds per stamp, then have them send the documents over to London home office where they have to do an apostilles for each of the UK notary's stamps for another 30 pounds in order to have them accepted by the US courts, and pay for all the shipping fees.

So, pushing 260 pounds or so, and 2-3 weeks, for something that should have cost about 100 pounds and take a couple of hours.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hi Quetesh! I was going to ask how you are but it sounds like you're a little stressed right now.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
My job keeps me beyond busy most days, and I am just waiting out our last months in Belfast before we can move to England in a few months.
It will be a few extremely busy months coming up, but in the end it will be worth it to live in the mainland of UK and have so many other options in ways that would bore you if I went into too much detail.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So where in the UK will you be?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Nice! That is closer to where I usually stomp around when in the UK - Southampton to York is not a terrible trek.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I miss the days when I would come here at any time of day and there would be new posts.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Have you ever enjoyed a rather good bottle of red wine, and then with the very last sip of the very last glass, you got a mouth full of gunk? Why?!?!?!?!?!? I guess it's the universe's way of balancing things out. You enjoyed this thing, so now you will suffer from it. This only seems to happen with the good bottles of wine by the way. The regular wines from the supermarket, you won't have this problem, because they suck.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Not a wine drinker, but I have encountered a similar issue with improperly made teas and coffees.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
My pet peeve today is how builders make new developments so crammed together and/or in total shit areas! Seriously, I do not want to pay top dollars and live a few hundred feet away from a area where people are poor and crime is rampant. Then surprise surprise the rates for burglary goes through the root and you can't buy anything nice without worrying about it getting stolen. When you find one in a decent area the houses are so close together that you can barely fit your bins in between them. Greedy bastards, give a few extra feet breathing room!!!

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Have you ever enjoyed a rather good bottle of red wine, and then with the very last sip of the very last glass, you got a mouth full of gunk? Why?!?!?!?!?!? I guess it's the universe's way of balancing things out. You enjoyed this thing, so now you will suffer from it. This only seems to happen with the good bottles of wine by the way. The regular wines from the supermarket, you won't have this problem, because they suck.
That's a red wine thing, you won't get that with white or rose, I think it has to do with the fact that red wine is red because of the grape's skins.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
That's a red wine thing, you won't get that with white or rose, I think it has to do with the fact that red wine is red because of the grape's skins.
Wait, what? I'm drinking grape skins? :smiley-015:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I posted about the first book in this series somewhere here, the second has recently come out and its as good or better than the first

i think some of you may like it- its sci-fi, hard science, history and the 'history' of the modern space race all in one

i believe i read elsewhere where the writer is planning at least 3 books? not sure though

they are set up differently for regular books, they are written more like a script, sort of. where dialogue is written as a script and other sequences are written out in traditional narrative. a much quicker read than standard set up

here is a review for the latest:

DrWho42

GateFans Member
FQKI-VzUYAAbc6l