Prometheus (in 3D): Just saw it. Review coming at length...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I saw Prometheus tonight (2D version). I mostly enjoyed it but I thought it dragged in a few spots. It sort of felt like they were spoon feeding the story to the audience, and that always slows things down.

I thought there would be more grab your armrests horror in it than there actually was. It certainly did not have the same tension as the original Alien.

Regarding the odd crew selection...

They weren't picked by some worldwide consortium. The mission was a corporate project and Vickers hand-picked many of the crew herself. It was apparent that she thought the mission was a complete waste of time. I liked that she had her own personal escape vessel – the rich and powerful will still have all the perks in 2093.

The special effects were great. The med lab scene rocked.

This film didn't ruin Alien for me at all. It wasn't as good as Alien was, but it wasn't that bad either.

Please add your comments to the review I posted a few days ago. :) I said in the review that I did NOT think it was horrible or that it was a ripoff, it was an okay movie. But although it did not ruin Alien, it was directly connected to it and leads right into it. I think that Ridley will veer off into the mythology of these "Engineers" and if so, then I am not that thrilled.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Please add your comments to the review I posted a few days ago. :) I said in the review that I did NOT think it was horrible or that it was a ripoff, it was an okay movie. But although it did not ruin Alien, it was directly connected to it and leads right into it. I think that Ridley will veer off into the mythology of these "Engineers" and if so, then I am not that thrilled.

I think they may have cut out a scene with Janek and Vickers. :icon10:

I didn't mind the Engineer parts of the film.

Other than that they were messing with genetics (which we knew from Alien) the film didn't really reveal too much about their agenda.

I just put my original thoughts (minus spoiler) on your review thread. Should that show up on the front page?

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
It’s been openly stated by both director Ridley Scott and writer Damon Lindelof that Prometheus is the first in a planned trilogy all set to bridge the franchise and Scott’s 1979 classic Alien. The Hollywood Reporter confirms at least a sequel.
The $130 million-budgeted film grossed a solid but not spectacular $303 million globally, putting it right on the franchise bubble. Twentieth Century Fox confirms to the mag that Scott and the studio actively are pushing ahead with a follow-up (stars Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace are signed) and are talking to new writers because Prometheus co-scribe Damon Lindelof might not be available (good news for those of you who hate his non-explanatory writing style).
Ridley is incredibly excited about the movie, but we have to get it right. We can’t rush it,” says Fox president of production Emma Watts, who also has overseen the successful reboots of the X-Men and Planet of the Apes franchises by turning over the reigns to innovative filmmakers.
According to the site, a Prometheus sequel would be released in 2014 or 2015. Write your reviews of the first film here.
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3157042/prometheus-sequel-confirmed-fassbender-and-rapace-return/

So there you have it, the sequel is a go. And please, please, please, let the talk about Lindelof not being available be true. If they bring in a writer with more talent (read any talent), they might be able to turn the Engineers into an interesting villain, and avoid creating any other major plot holes.
One of these days, Lindelof is gonna write a plot hole so big he'll fall into it and never be heard from again. Man, I'm looking forward to that day! ;)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I wonder if there's anyone left in Hollywood with an ORIGINAL IDEA?!?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3157042/prometheus-sequel-confirmed-fassbender-and-rapace-return/

So there you have it, the sequel is a go. And please, please, please, let the talk about Lindelof not being available be true. If they bring in a writer with more talent (read any talent), they might be able to turn the Engineers into an interesting villain, :nightmare: and avoid creating any other major plot holes.

One of these days, Lindelof is gonna write a plot hole so big he'll fall into it and never be heard from again. Man, I'm looking forward to that day! ;)

41570_276316314666_990887_n.jpg

Hated it. :facepalm2:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
That it is the first part of a planned three films makes me ill.

If the "Engineers" are out to destroy us, then why would they even give Shaw a chance to even talk with him, even with the help of David in his Lawrence of Arabia hairstyle.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
ok so ive seen it now and im sticking to my original oppinion that it is greatly over hyped over rated shit sure the movie has pretty VFX/CGI but that isnt enough for me to actually "like" this thing... piece of crap movie.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
ok so ive seen it now and im sticking to my original oppinion that it is greatly over hyped over rated $#@! sure the movie has pretty VFX/CGI but that isnt enough for me to actually "like" this thing... piece of crap movie.

Actually you're overrating the film. It has decent SFX but the plot is totally illogical and has holes you could drive a tank through.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Actually you're overrating the film. It has decent SFX but the plot is totally illogical and has holes you could drive a tank through.

1000% agree. :) The entire film is a hole. I wont be seeing any of the sequels. I watched it again after "acquiring" it at home, and I noticed still more Hitler-esque elements and not-so-subtle racism in the movie. The premise is convoluted and makes no sense at all. I do agree with OMNI that the VFX/CGI was top notch, but even with that it still fails in entertainment value and longevity. I have no interest whatsoever in seeing any sequel.

Bluce Ree

1000% agree. :) The entire film is a hole. I wont be seeing any of the sequels. I watched it again after "acquiring" it at home, and I noticed still more Hitler-esque emelents and not-so-subtle racism in the movie. The premise is convoluted and makes no sense at all. I do agree with OMNI that the VFX/CGI was top notch, but even with that it still fails in entertainment value and longevity. I have no interest whatsoever in seeing any sequel.

So, in essence, the great prequel experiment is a colossal failure, as I predicted. :(

Why won't they just give us something new?!?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So, in essence, the great prequel experiment is a colossal failure, as I predicted. :(

Why won't they just give us something new?!?

This is one you need to see before really hating it. See if you can "get" it.

Bluce Ree

This is one you need to see before really hating it. See if you can "get" it.

Nah, I don't hate it. I'm sure I'll like it for what it is. I just wish the guy would have put his creativity and effort into something new rather than recycling an old classic into a series of prequels.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's pretty bad. I saw it and was thankful it was at the local dollar matinee.

This little video captures a small part of the problem with the film - the plot is a total mess:

[video=youtube_share;-x1YuvUQFJ0]

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Nah, I don't hate it. I'm sure I'll like it for what it is.

Are+you+sure+those+were+the+words+_554825ce7f4654022f09595e53d202fd.png

Wanna bet? :smiley-laughing021:

I just wish the guy would have put his creativity and effort into something new rather than recycling an old classic into a series of prequels.

This movie is almost like an angry tantrum from Ridley Scott. Watching it will explain that for you. :zelenkaanime17:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's pretty bad. I saw it and was thankful it was at the local dollar matinee.

This little video captures a small part of the problem with the film - the plot is a total mess:

[video=youtube_share;-x1YuvUQFJ0]

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Come on guys, Prometheus has OMNI's fave actress:

noomi-rapace-prometheus-570x362.jpg

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Haven't seen it yet. I was stoked for it early on but then lost interest the more I heard about it. :icon_e_confused:

I'll catch it on cable or Netflix eventually but I'm not holding my breath for it to be good now, which is a shame as I'm a big fan of the original Alien movie and think Ridley Scott did a great job of it for being 1979. I just assumed he'd do a good job with this one too. :sorrow:

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Frankly, while Ridley Scott is to blame for some of the problems with the film, I myself is choosing to place most of the blame on that moron Damon Lindelof. :smiley-015: He should never be allowed to write anything ever again. :facepalm: