PopOS! A different Linux

Shadow Mann

Staff member
I have a license for all my Windows copies (W10Pro), but I used a separate drive for PopOS. There was no EFI partition for PopOS, even though I prepared one during setup to copy over the EFI files to do a dual boot. I did that, but it did not work as expected. Still, I have a reliable dual-boot machine and I successfully decrypted my Windows drives so I can see all my Windows files from Linux (my most important stuff!). I have other separate drives that contain all my games and software and movies and shows and stuff (NAS). It sees everything in those just fine.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
Helpful PopOS things that I found useful are in this article. I did not do all 20, but the other things proved to be extremely helpful. It applies to newer PopOS distros too.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Interesting help list. I do think some of it will go by the wayside when PopOS! rolls out the new COSMIC version that is its own animal and not GNOME based though.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
Interesting help list. I do think some of it will go by the wayside when PopOS! rolls out the new COSMIC version that is its own animal and not GNOME based though.
Yep, I ignored several of the suggestions but the others were very helpful. I am extremely impressed with this OS! The problems I have appear to only be caused by my unfamiliarity with some of the newer features. The compatibility is just about seamless, and most of my favorite games WILL run, but I just have to tweak them individually to make it happen. Worth it to me! I am getting the full 60fps on the games installed so far. Programs like Davinci Resolve are working properly, but I am having issues with my Brio4k cameras. It only shows black and white flickering, whereas the same camera shows perfectly in Cheese. Probably more tweaks. An absolute must have for OBS.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It makes me wonder if whether part of the reason PopOS! is so polished and slick is that the developers are themselves a hardware OEM? As such they seem good at writing drivers very close to the hardware and also on compatibility and creating a smooth user experience.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
My beautiful PopOS desktop (modded). I have transparency on my dock thanks to Dash to Dock.
1718720751724.png

Shadow Mann

Staff member
OBS problem SOLVED! Using Cheese, which captures the full 4K of my camera by default (and then downscales accordingly), I was able to use the Window Capture source in OBS to grab the video in full HD. I went to see if I could get my Scarlett interface to work (where my mic is plugged in), and OBS had already detected it and selected it! So, that is a major hurdle overcome. Now, all that's left is gaming stuff. Unreal Engine and VR. Also, Steam is not allowing me to install anything on Linux. It only allowed Fallout 4.

Last edited:

Shadow Mann

Staff member
I think I may move these updates I am posting to a Build PopOS post, but right now I am working on it actively, and I want to share the tidbits I am finding. This time, it's something to replace the Mod Manager for my games like Fallout 4. Vortex will not work with Steam for Linux because the mod manager Vortex does not know the file structure. I found a replacement for Linux, and will be installing it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEbZ3hNcoRg

Shadow Mann

Staff member
NOTE: Flatpak installations of software on Linux are not the same as .deb install packages. They create different folders and directory structures. Case in point, the .deb version of the Steam Installer has to be used if you want to use Protontricks which you will need to install Mod Manager 2. If you use the Flatpak version of Steam, Protontricks cannot find the installation and cannot be used. Just another tidbit!

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
NOTE: Flatpak installations of software on Linux are not the same as .deb install packages. The create different folders and directory structures. Case in point, the .deb version of the Steam Installer has to be used if you want to use Protontricks which you will need to install Mod Manager 2. If you use the Flatpak version of Steam, Protontricks cannot find the installation and cannot be used. Just another tidbit!
I've been careful not to use Flatpak.

Shadow Mann

Staff member

Shadow Mann

Staff member
Having to download Fallout 4 again from Steam, as the folder copied from the Fallout 4 game in the Steam Flatpak directory had all the files, but the new Steam installation will not see them. I believe it has to index all of them over again to tie them to my account with a different ID. That's 25gb! I can make a sandwich. I am having so much fun with this! A lot of "A ha!" moments and ear-to-ear gins when I solve an issue and the programs start running properly. VERY impressed with this. If I get the Monado working for Steam and VR, I can permanently dump Windows and I most definitely will. For good this time.
hungry how to GIF by Munchies

Last edited:

Shadow Mann

Staff member
Last edited:

Shadow Mann

Staff member
Oh my, the details! I had forgotten how geeky Linux can be if you have a specific need. I had to uninstall Protontricks because the one in the repository is not the newest one. LOL. So, I had to go to GitHub.

This went well after tedious trial and error, but my Mod Manager is installed and successfully connected to Nexus Mods. It only manages ONE game, but this is the only game I frequently mod because it was so easy with Vortex. This is not as pretty, but it works perfectly and can search NexusMods directly plus install or uninstall them. Last hurdle is getting my other games going and getting VR to with with Monado instead of being forced to use WMR. Here is the Mod Manager. I just installed the Cheat Terminal which appears in the Pip Boy. A must have.
1718758501935.png

Last edited:

Shadow Mann

Staff member
Amazing experience getting PopOS ready for Unreal Engine. You can't use Epic's fancy launcher, but you CAN use and manage all your assets, Quixel Bridge and download new engines. This has literally been two days of work so far, but totally worth it. The OS runs on literally less than half the resources of Windows, even when running programs like DaVinci Resolve or high-end games. It's making my machine seem more than twice as fast. Even the few games I have installed are crispier and more responsive. It feels like home again....I missed Linux!

Last edited:

Shadow Mann

Staff member
BRILLIANT what they have done with Steam and Linux! So, I mentioned earlier that the games could not be installed except Fallout 4. Well, I can install ANY game, because when you install Proton, you can go into Steam and set the compatibility with different flavors of Proton (see pic). Once you set the compatibility, a layer is created between Steam and Wine which allows the games to install and also be played. It is nearly flawless, if not so straightforward.
It has worked with every game I have decided to install, and the games run as smooth or smoother in Linux than they do in Windows. I am gobsmacked at the work they have done! Installing Hogwart's Legacy, Doom Eternal, and Age of Empires IV Anniversary Edition. It's not even making my graphics card use more than about 1/4 the memory on it.

1718779003601.png

Last edited:

Shadow Mann

Staff member
SUCCESS! I have successfully got Unreal Engine 5.4 (latest) running flawlessly on Linux, and I can also open my projects made from the Windows installation in it. I can also use Quixel Bridge and add my existing asset directories in it. Geeky stuff, but this is a milestone. Never before has so much compatibility with programs of this scope been possible with any Linux I can recall.

EDIT: This is running NATIVELY on Linux, not installed in Wine. Just thought I should mention that.

1718884094110.png

Last edited:

Shadow Mann

Staff member
Since I am primarily now on Linux again, I decided that a proper Android VM would work better since on Windows, network communication is done differently with VMs, and the LAME BlueStacks emulator is a nightmare. Android is a hassle to install in VMware too, and VMware takes up way more resources than VirtualBox. Anyway, I was able to successfully set that up in PopOS. It's a convenient way to use Alexa for controlling stuff in my place, using the useful timer and multi-alarm system on Android, and using Android apps not made for PC. I love being back on Linux so much with this PopOS that I may not even bother creating a Windows VM on the Linux side. I will just continue to dual boot when necessary. Going back into Windows to grab stuff seems like taking a bath in dirty water now! Everything is slower and overdone IMO. These past few days have reminded me why I was on Linux in the first place, and now I lose ALMOST nothing. Still gotta get the VR going on Monado. Here is my Android VM running in PopOS on VirtualBox.

1718889907339.png

Last edited: