Multicellular Life Evolves in Laboratory

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/01/evolution-of-multicellularity/

An evolutionary transition that took several billion years to occur in nature has happened in a laboratory, and it needed just 60 days.

Under artificial pressure to become larger, single-celled yeast became multicellular creatures. That crucial step is responsible for life’s progression beyond algae and bacteria, and while the latest work doesn’t duplicate prehistoric transitions, it could help reveal the principles guiding them.

yeast_multicellularity.jpg

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The fact that the offspring are multicellular is particularly interesting. That means these aren't just "one-off" types of organisms.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
"If you want to have some organism that makes ethanol or a novel compound, then — apart from using genetic engineering — you could do selection experiments” to shape their evolution, Travisano said. “What we’re doing right here, engineering via artificial selection, is something we’ve done for centuries with animals and agriculture.”

Learning about evolution is great, but if these eggheads can figure out how to create organisms that can cheaply produce ethanol and get us off of fossil fuels it is time to start handing out the Nobel prizes. :cool:

B

Backstep

Learning about evolution is great, but if these eggheads can figure out how to create organisms that can cheaply produce ethanol and get us off of fossil fuels it is time to start handing out the Nobel prizes. :cool:

Raw algae can be converted into a crude oil that can be processed at existing petroleum refineries before distribution as a substitute for gasoline and other processed fuels, new research has found. http://www.upi.com/Business_News/En...o-produce-algae-crude-oil/UPI-61091326752182/

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Hydrogen fuel. It will kill the car parts market and make cars with fewer moving parts, which are at the four wheels. The byproduct is water and hydrogen fuel stations are able to separate hydrogen from water on site, eliminating transport. The only problem with hydrogen fuel is that Exxon Mobile can't profit from it directly.

SciphonicStranger

Hydrogen fuel. It will kill the car parts market and make cars with fewer moving parts, which are at the four wheels. The byproduct is water and hydrogen fuel stations are able to separate hydrogen from water on site, eliminating transport. The only problem with hydrogen fuel is that Exxon Mobile can't profit from it directly.

With the profits they are currently reaping, oil companies would be hurting themselves by not getting into alternative fuel sources for the future. I'm a little leery of hydrogen as I don't want my vehicle to do this. :P

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
With the profits they are currently reaping, oil companies would be hurting themselves by not getting into alternative fuel sources for the future. I'm a little leery of hydrogen as I don't want my vehicle to do this. :P

Yeah, dude, it doesn't quite work like that. :icon_lol:

Honda has hydrogen fuel cell cars being tested in California. In Europe, the Scandinavians have the hydrogen highway with hydrogen fuel stations spread throughout.

When your car is parked at home, the fuel cell can be used to power your house. Your car essentially becomes a power source. Hydrogen also produces 3 times more energy than gasoline pound for pound. Typical hydrogen car design has the entire bottom of the car as one huge hydrogen tank. Don't worry, it won't explode. :icon_lol:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Don't you want to out in a blaze of glory? Remember, it's better to burn out than fade away. ;)

SciphonicStranger

Don't you want to out in a blaze of glory? Remember, it's better to burn out than fade away. ;)

I figure someday I will go out in a blaze of glory Rambo style somewhere in the Netherlands. Of course that may just mean that I crashed my hydrogen powered vehicle into someone's windmill. :P

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Bluce is correct here - the Hindenberg was a unique situation with a combination of hydrogen, an outer coating that contained some aluminum and thermite, diesel fuel and lightning. Also wind shear which caused a frame fracture that pierced a hydrogen bag and caused the inner spce to be filled with air and hydrogen. Tragic but also flukey.

SciphonicStranger

SciphonicStranger

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

OMG, this is SO COOL. :) The danger in this type of experimentation is that the search for the "ultimate life form" could mean the end of all others. An uber-successful organism like that would be able to out reproduce, out consume, out defend and outgrow all others. :(. I love the experiment because it reveals the real life example of how multicellular organisms evolve. But the real excitement will come when the raw DNA molecule can be tweaked by using a keyboard and monitor. :) The same molecule that makes humans also makes fleas and palm trees.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
OMG, this is SO COOL. :) The danger in this type of experimentation is that the search for the "ultimate life form" could mean the end of all others. An uber-successful organism like that would be able to out reproduce, out consume, out defend and outgrow all others. :(. I love the experiment because it reveals the real life example of how multicellular organisms evolve. But the real excitement will come when the raw DNA molecule can be tweaked by using a keyboard and monitor. :) The same molecule that makes humans also makes fleas and palm trees.

I'd just be happy with a multicellular yeast strain that could self-replicate itself into beer -- over and over and over. ;)