Marketing garbage that irks me

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
... Our team has a combined total of 50 years in the software space ...
Whoever started this "combined total" nonsense needs to be pummeled into a coma. 10 people with 5 years experience does not equal 50 years of experience. It equals 10 people whose knowledge and experience are not more than 5 years.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I have always felt this way, Bluce.

What if you had a one year old company with two hundred employees who all started at the same time the company began, doing one job. Does that give them 200 years experience? I don't think so!​

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Whoever started this "combined total" nonsense needs to be pummeled into a coma. 10 people with 5 years experience does not equal 50 years of experience. It equals 10 people whose knowledge and experience are not more than 5 years.

This is how people play around with numbers. Also, I hate when firms tout how long they have been around. "Since 1933" REALLY? Who gives two shits about that? I want to know that they are not still doing business like they did in 1933. I do not want to listen to some curmudgeon tell me how his dot matrix printer still works fine since he bought it in 1989...it just needs a few adapters and drivers :facepalm:. Your example is common too. What do they take people for? Its more evidence of the dumbing down of America.

What if you had a one year old company with two hundred employees who all started at the same time the company began, doing one job. Does that give them 200 years experience? I don't think so!

They will say it does! :anim_59:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

What if you had a one year old company with two hundred employees who all started at the same time the company began, doing one job. Does that give them 200 years experience? I don't think so!

That comment had me laughing my ass off for a good five minutes! :icon_rotflmao:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

They also need to be pummeled for using the term "software space". :McKayrolleyes:

It is good to know though that these folks were working with software -- back in the 1960's. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

its to market to potential customers with "squishy heads" who see big numbers and drool-then sign a contract.

in such competitive fields so involved with jargon and stats-as in IT-and stuff that many office managers don't want to or can't understand-it is a way to falslely distinguish your company over the competition.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
its to market to potential customers with "squishy heads" who see big numbers and drool-then sign a contract.

in such competitive fields so involved with jargon and stats-as in IT-and stuff that many office managers don't want to or can't understand-it is a way to falslely distinguish your company over the competition.

In the early 2000s, the trend into cloud based services caused many companies to fire their onsite IT Administrators and go with liasons from the vendors to rely on advice. But that decade proved to them that cloud services are not all they promised to be, and the current technology is not as stable as many companies need it to be. So, we have the shift back to onsite IT Administrators (which I am right now), or consultant firms which perform that function. With us geeks in charge of procuring these services, the dumb tactics do not work. :) Dont tell me how you secure my data in the cloud, tell me what the failover is when the internet goes down. How do we access our data? Dont sell me cloud based office programs if you cant guarantee that we can use them offline...doing this costs these cloud companies money and R&D they dont have.

This is why somebody coming in and opening their pitch with "We have 50 years experience" or "We have been around since 1960" means absolutely nothing. The internet has only been around for the puiblic since the mid 1990s, and how long they have been in business or how many years experience they have means nothing unless they are offering cutting edge services and technology. Like Bluce, I am immediately irked when they come off with that marketing spin, and they can lose the business immediately. I posted the one about the "green" IT services company. Green means nothing to me when it comes to buying IT services.