Lou Diamond Philips needs a job

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well, I think the idea for Young's character was that he was supposed to have burned out after seeing some people on his team die (from what I can recall of the character descriptions that came out before the show aired). They bungled that by not establishing his backstory early on, so he wound up looking like an incompetent fool who should've never risen to his rank, plus putting in all that crap with his wife.

This all goes back to overly ambitious writing, for no reason I might add. There's just way too many details that the average viewer isn't going to know from watching the show and also isn't going to watch "Keno webisodes" to get edified by. This over writing is one of the major flaws with SGU.

If you look at Jack O'Neill, you get his back story very simply. He's messed up because his son died. It was a simple and understandable issue for the viewers to sympathize with. Contrast this to Young and in two seasons (so far) we haven't seen exactly why he's such a mess. As a viewer it's not my job to fill in the blanks. Again, poor, poor writing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Very astute!

This all goes back to overly ambitious writing, for no reason I might add. There's just way too many details that the average viewer isn't going to know from watching the show and also isn't going to watch "Keno webisodes" to get edified by. This over writing is one of the major flaws with SGU.

Almost every move they have made seems to be based on the ASSUMPTION that Stargate fans will blindly follow anything related to Stargate like lemmings. We were supposed to be "driven" to MGM's website to view the oh-so-secret kinosodes (and be bombarded with MGM's other marketing pitches on their site). I would not be a bit surprised if there were plans to make a Stargate themed bar in Vegas and perhaps a line of clothing named something like "The Chloe Collection". Perhaps TJ was going to be pushing Cover Girl...who knows. The writing was NEVER up to task for what they were shooting for. If it wasnt in the show, then it wasnt there when the viewer wanted to see it. Going to the MGM site requires active participation from the viewer which had no incentive attached. If you hate the characters, why look for more on them at MGM's website?

If you look at Jack O'Neill, you get his back story very simply. He's messed up because his son died. It was a simple and understandable issue for the viewers to sympathize with. Contrast this to Young and in two seasons (so far) we haven't seen exactly why he's such a mess. As a viewer it's not my job to fill in the blanks. Again, poor, poor writing.
Yep, we came into SGU with Young's wife already hating on him. They were already in trouble and we dont know why except that TJ is involved somehow. Then there is TJ who they made the clingy "fatal attraction" she was for most of the show. By fleshing out HER character, what emerges is a manipulative, rather dumb woman who is given over to emotional reactions to things and shows no inner strength.

Telford was done pretty well, as SGU characters go. LDP needs to just get enough B-grade jobs to make ends meet. He has never been a leading man.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually that problem applies to all of the SGU women. They are stereotypical soap opera women.

TJ is as described; clingy and not very intelligent.

Chloe is basically a slut, and also not very intelligent. Notice a pattern?

Wray is manipulative and although they say she has intelligence she never shows it.

Oh, and being Asian of course Wray has to be a lesbian (because Asian lesbians seems to be the nouveau thing in "adult" cinema).

How much more degrading can you get?

How about showing strong, intelligent women who are also decent and compassionate people? Oh wait, I can find that on Sanctuary, Eureka, Warehouse 13 and both SG-1 and SGA. I would even put Anna on V as a more complimentary depiction of women as she at least is acting in what she thinks is the best interests of her species and did hazard her own life in trying to bliss humans.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I noticed!

Actually that problem applies to all of the SGU women. They are stereotypical soap opera women.

YES. And its so obvious as to make me cringe for the intelligent and independent women I know in my life.

Wray is manipulative and although they say she has intelligence she never shows it.

Oh, and being Asian of course Wray has to be a lesbian (because Asian lesbians seems to be the nouveau thing in "adult" cinema).

LOL...so true. And add that element to the passive eroticism of Lt James standing in corridors with black lace panties in shirts that are two sizes too small, and there you have perfect bait for adolescent males in the proper demographic, right? :facepalm: But soap and T&A dont go over well in the demographics. So, the other balance would be the female audience. Since T&A doesnt go over well in that audience, you have to balance the women with strong/independent/intelligent personalities to appeal to them. The writers lacked this...perhaps because there were no women on the executive writing staff? :icon_e_wink:

How about showing strong, intelligent women who are also decent and compassionate people? Oh wait, I can find that on Sanctuary, Eureka, Warehouse 13 and both SG-1 and SGA. I would even put Anna on V as a more complimentary depiction of women as she at least is acting in what she thinks is the best interests of her species and did hazard her own life in trying to bliss humans.

Anna is strong yet vulnerable, as is Erica Evans. Because of those two characters, the rather vapid role Lisa plays on V is acceptable.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede

She's had sex with one guy over the course of the entire series. *gasp* What a whore! :eek: Burn her, burn her I say!!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Its not how many times she has sex that makes her a slut.

She's had sex with one guy over the course of the entire series. *gasp* What a whore! :eek: Burn her, burn her I say!!

A guy doesnt consider a woman a slut because of how many times she has sex, its the REASON she has sex. In Chloe's case, she had a boyfriend on earth she was still attached to (as evidenced by the catfight she had with the blonde girl on earth :facepalm:). But she had already slept with Scott by then. And also she didnt bother to get to know Scott before she had sex with him. She might have known that he was banging Lt James in the broom closet of Destiny only hours before.

THAT makes her a slut. :)

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
A guy doesnt consider a woman a slut because of how many times she has sex, its the REASON she has sex. In Chloe's case, she had a boyfriend on earth she was still attached to (as evidenced by the catfight she had with the blonde girl on earth :facepalm:). But she had already slept with Scott by then. And also she didnt bother to get to know Scott before she had sex with him. She might have known that he was banging Lt James in the broom closet of Destiny only hours before.

She had already broken up with her boyfriend before the series started (well he actually broke up with her but whatever) so it doesn't matter.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

VERY well said my friend! :D

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
She had already broken up with her boyfriend before the series started (well he actually broke up with her but whatever) so it doesn't matter.

It matters if she didn't find out until her magical stone ride back home.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I agree, the witch should be burned!

I think it was bad writing that turned a lot of people off to the character of Chloe. I get that she's supposed to be grieving the loss of her father and also freaked at finding herself stranded on a space ship billions of light years away from Earth, blah blah blah. But SGU had too many story lines crammed into a small amount of time and it's hard to develop empathy with a character when you don't see any relationship develop between her and the guy she is shagging.

Plus when we did see more of Chloe's backstory it was nothing more than a snit with mommy, then nightclubbing, dancing, a drunken cat fight and I believe some crying. Based on this Chloe may not be a whore but she is a twit -- a vapid, teenage twit. The character doesn't deserve respect because she has been portrayed as a "Jersey Shore" cast member, and last I checked "Jersey Shore" cast members were whores, so it all comes full circle. ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Exactly.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
It matters if she didn't find out until her magical stone ride back home.

When she went back to Earth she only found out that her boyfriend had broke up with her because he was sleeping with her best friend, but the break up had happened prior to the series started anyway so she was completely single when she had sex with Scott. Of course she was still attatched to him, but who wouldn't be? Can any of you honestly say that if a boyfriend/girlfriend breaks up with you to be with your best friend, you completely stop caring about him or her?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
When she went back to Earth she only found out that her boyfriend had broke up with her because he was sleeping with her best friend, but the break up had happened prior to the series started anyway so she was completely single when she had sex with Scott. Of course she was still attatched to him, but who wouldn't be? Can any of you honestly say that if a boyfriend/girlfriend breaks up with you to be with your best friend, you completely stop caring about him or her?

Do you see the contradiction between the black and red? She found out he broke up with her when she went back to Earth after the series started, but the break up somehow happened before the series started?

Even if we assume it was a one-way breakup, that her bf decided to break up without telling her, in her mind he was still her bf and, therefore, she cheated on him from a moral perspective, not a technical perspective.

Being labeled a slut has to do with morality, not technicality.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Do you see the contradiction between the black and red? She found out he broke up with her when she went back to Earth after the series started, but the break up somehow happened before the series started?

Even if we assume it was a one-way breakup, that her bf decided to break up without telling her, in her mind he was still her bf and, therefore, she cheated on him from a moral perspective, not a technical perspective.

Being labeled a slut has to do with morality, not technicality.

No, when she went back to Earth she found out the reason behind her boyfriend breaking up with her. He had already broken up with her prior to the series premiere, but she didn't know why.

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
I liked LDP, but I don't like how the character was written in season 1(although he was obviously brainwashed) and in season 2 I don't like the Twin Destinies thing either, again forced drama crap.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I liked LDP, but I don't like how the character was written in season 1(although he was obviously brainwashed) and in season 2 I don't like the Twin Destinies thing either, again forced drama crap.

Yeah, they sorta went over the top with the drama in Twin Destinies. Its like they ramped up his anger and stubbornness so that when he was killed accidentally by Rush, it would have some sort of "impact". But that failed. At least the ratings are matching the episodes! They are low and getting lower, just as expected. :)

Copenhagen

GateFans Noob
I didn't like how they had Telford screwing Young's wife. That was just too soap opera to me. In general, the way they fleshed out the character was just too forced and contrived in many ways. It was like they set him up to be Young's nemesis simply for the sake of forced drama, not because it was necessary. The character is likable when he's in action getting stuff done and not bogged down in petty squabbles with the drama queens on Destiny.

Yeah, that really made me not like either character. That whole wife business. I mean who exactly did they want you to actually like on the ship? I'm still confused. Cause the writing they did, in some way makes me hate pretty much every character on the ship. I mean, did they want me to feel sorry for people like Young that had his wife sleep with someone else? Or did they want me to think he should dump the wife...? What was the objective of that whole writing plot? Please help me, cause I thought it just sucked.

I think we're all in agreement with the fact that:

A.) SGU is a pile of crap.

B.) Young is laughably incompetent.

C.) The writing is horrible due to the arrogance of the writers who obviously felt they didn't need to consult with anyone, be it fans or military advisors. The goal wasn't to write an accurate sci-fi action/adventure, it was to write a melodramatic soap.

D.) SGU is a steaming pile of crap.

Agreed.

Yeah, they sorta went over the top with the drama in Twin Destinies...

They sort of went over the top with the drama in SGU period. Not just the one show. Watching the show makes me want to stab Razor Blades in my eyes, in an effort to cut out all the freaking QQ...boo hoo!

That's why I just stopped watching it. The more I saw, the madder I got. I'm getting mad right now just thinking about what I have seen. God! Okay...I'll shut up now.

Anyway, I don't like LDP, at all. So, I quite frankly don't care if he ever gets another job. In fact I sort of hope that he don't. So, he don't show up in anything else that I like some day.

I don't like Lemon in my tea. (Or lemon in general, it just really gets on my nerves when it's in my tea the most though, cause eating establishments do this by default, as if it's understood that every one likes lemon in their tea....NO!!! they don't!)

I don't like Pickles on my Burger. (Seriously, who came up with the default ingredients for stuff? Not everyone wants Pickles on their Burger by Default. They are freaking gross).

Much like how I don't like drama in my Stargate
Or, LDP in anything I watch.

So, Having to watch SGU with LDP in it was like ordering a burger, and having it come to me with a Lemon slice, and Pickles on it.

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
Isn't pickle like a pickle. It is an art to make pickle taste the right way (it doesn't have to be all sour). Then again my family has own recipe for how to prepare them.
Some pickles I have tasted from shop usually etc, tasted terribly.
But I like lemons and don't mind them in stuff, again I guess personal preference.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Isn't pickle like a pickle. It is an art to make pickle taste the right way (it doesn't have to be all sour). Then again my family has own recipe for how to prepare them.
Some pickles I have tasted from shop usually etc, tasted terribly.
But I like lemons and don't mind them in stuff, again I guess personal preference.

I'm always one for a good recipe. What's yours? :)