Just how hard would it be to make a movie on a shoestring which didn't look or feel like it?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
THAT is exactly what I am talking about! B5's animation is many levels inferior to what I have seen OMNI do, but OMNI said he waas doing all of that on a laptop! It blows away anything I ever saw on B5. But I loved B5 and watched every season from beginning to end. It was EPIC. It could be done today on a shoestring IF DONE THE ORIGINAL WAY. Take a great story and great characters and you dont even need the visual. Wait, they cool those BOOKS! :)

No clue on the cost of the graphics with B5 but I have to say even today they are still good. Same with the original Starship Troopers movie which I think was like from 1997. I believe myself to be discerning enough to compare the CGI of this show and movie to ones today and am shocked that there doesn't seem to be much advancement over the years. If anything most CGI today looks cartoonish compared to those earlier examples (I don't mean OMNI's, rather, I'm referencing TV shows and movies).

I know some here will disagree but that's just how it is. A cartoon is a cartoon is a cartoon. I'm not blind and I'm not an idiot nor am I five years old. My eyes know when they're seeing a cartoon as it's painfully obvious with much of the CGI that goes on today. Conversely, the ships on B5 and the starry backgrounds, etc. still look good and fairly realistic. And the "bugs" in Starship Troopers have a realness to them that has yet to be matched in anything that I've seen since. No comparison.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So did you watch the vid OM?

Okay, yeah I did and now I understand what you were saying. :) But still, you could do something creative with the HD on a phone. No, it would not come anywhere near what you can do with that very professional camera. But then again. its not exactly on a "shoestring". Awesome video. It explained what you were saying in a very clear way, and after watching it I agree it would be difficult to do anything theater quality without such a camera.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Okay, yeah I did and now I understand what you were saying. :) But still, you could do something creative with the HD on a phone. No, it would not come anywhere near what you can do with that very professional camera. But then again. its not exactly on a "shoestring". Awesome video. It explained what you were saying in a very clear way, and after watching it I agree it would be difficult to do anything theater quality without such a camera.
indeed you can do some neat things using a mobile cam eventually you just run into the issues mentioned in the vid come post etc also the light aspect is really key to making video look good and a mobile cam just doesnt hold up there and to use a mobile cam for a whole series/movie production.. naw i dont see that happening.

and no the scarlett is far from shoestring but still relativly cheap however there are other options even tho they wont be as good as the scarlet they will def be MUCH better then a mobile cam that imo still fit into the shoestring category.

anyway glad you watched it and understood the point i was making earlier, for future note trust me dude i actually have a good grasp of this stuff and if i comment on it im not just randomly pulling stuff out my ass and claiming them to be true i have actually done reasearch ;)