Just how hard would it be to make a movie on a shoestring which didn't look or feel like it?

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
So true. One of my favorite non-genre movies of recent years is actually a small non-American production with a budget of $3-4 million, and it was done brilliantly. Great story (through it's based on a book) with good actors and directing. And now the Hollywood morons are planning on doing a remake which I am utterly certain will be awful. Why am I so certain about its awfulness? Well firstly, it's a remake, and secondly, Zac Efron is going to play the lead. :puke:
dude atm im almost ashamed to say that until about an hour ago i hadnt seen it.. i just dismissed "snabba cash" as another shitty BS swe movie but after seeing it now HOTDAMN its great and im ashamed i didnt bother seeing it when it came out...

so you also looking forward to II?

OMNI

@overmind

some info from people actually making movies and clips on a SHOESTRING budget..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6iKCylSmFo
timestamp 4:35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMAH5q4G3Rc

Om1 watch these and try to listen and learn some then when you are dont please take that bullshit you were shovling about your fancy (read shitty iphone cam) and shove it up your ass ;)

also as for "resolution" not exceeding 1080 PLEASE apply yoursef and try to envision why larger rez is neccesary... (hint post production)

and just a note: 1080p on a 60ich screen looks like horseshit kebab so dont gimmie anymore of that BS besides Next gen games and consoles along with screens bluerays etc etc will ALL feature a MINIMUM of 4k resolotion.

please get your head out of your ass and trust that i know WTF im talking about, and for someone so "techy" as you im surprised this information and knowledge and reasons WHY evades you.

OMNI

sorry if i come off as an ass but you having such a strong oppinion and borderline belittling and bullying mine just pisses me off especially whne you so obviously have no knowledge on the subject and spin around your statements as factual...

/grumpy

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Actually, not apologised, thats wrong, clarified his position would be more accurate.

OMNI

Actually, not apologised, thats wrong, clarified his position would be more accurate.
.. just gets to me when people who know jack shit about this sort of stuff sling out suposed factual statements that are all kinds of wrong especially whne i F'n know what im talking about since this is what i do, the people i network with and have spent the better part of 3 years completly envoloping myself in...

:)

OMNI

Oh gimme a hug you miserabe prick :D
Better yet, keep yourself free in 2 days and we can watch Airwolf :D
:rotflmao: ill give you a handshake and a shoulderbump ;) only one getting hugs from me on here is greybrew and shes earned that ;)

and im there brother! just say the word ;)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
:rotflmao: ill give you a handshake and a shoulderbump ;) only one getting hugs from me on here is greybrew and shes earned that ;)

Well, should be free on Monday here, so should be good for then. Next day should be cool as well, but day after is up the creek as it is ANZAC day.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

I gotta +1 you on that. She's been through a lot lately and has managed to keep wearing her heart on her sleeve.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
@overmind

some info from people actually making movies and clips on a SHOESTRING budget..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6iKCylSmFo
timestamp 4:35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMAH5q4G3Rc

Om1 watch these and try to listen and learn some then when you are dont please take that bullshit you were shovling about your fancy (read shitty iphone cam) and shove it up your ass ;)

also as for "resolution" not exceeding 1080 PLEASE apply yoursef and try to envision why larger rez is neccesary... (hint post production)

and just a note: 1080p on a 60ich screen looks like horseshit kebab so dont gimmie anymore of that BS besides Next gen games and consoles along with screens bluerays etc etc will ALL feature a MINIMUM of 4k resolotion.

please get your head out of your ass and trust that i know WTF im talking about, and for someone so "techy" as you im surprised this information and knowledge and reasons WHY evades you.

For now, I just would like for you to explain to me how much resolution they had on Blair Witch Project, and even on Cloverfield. Tell me how having ultra super high resolution makes a shred of difference if what is being watched or written is not entertaining? For me, Avatar is a good example. The story was forgettable, derivative crap and I did not enjoy it. I liked the effects a lot, but once seen that is it. OTOH, low resolution flicks (compared to now) from the 80's and 90's with NO effects were extremely entertaining.

My argument is that you are being close minded if you reject the idea that a "garage film" cannot be as profitable (or MORE profitable as in the case of Blair Witch) than an ultra high budget bomb like Tron 2 or The Postman. What if you were told in the beginning that you could not hope to be a serious animator/CGI artist with the modest laptop that you described you did the work you show here on? What if they told you that you needed to START with the Avid studio and a 35MM digital setup with a Mac server? I would be as willing or maybe more willing to watch a well made film in 1080p if the story was so good it did not matter what the screen resolution was or what equipment it was made on.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I could live with weak special effects as long as the story is awesome. Actually I think I already have... :cool:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
For now, I just would like for you to explain to me how much resolution they had on Blair Witch Project, and even on Cloverfield. Tell me how having ultra super high resolution makes a shred of difference if what is being watched or written is not entertaining? For me, Avatar is a good example. The story was forgettable, derivative crap and I did not enjoy it. I liked the effects a lot, but once seen that is it. OTOH, low resolution flicks (compared to now) from the 80's and 90's with NO effects were extremely entertaining.

My argument is that you are being close minded if you reject the idea that a "garage film" cannot be as profitable (or MORE profitable as in the case of Blair Witch) than an ultra high budget bomb like Tron 2 or The Postman. What if you were told in the beginning that you could not hope to be a serious animator/CGI artist with the modest laptop that you described you did the work you show here on? What if they told you that you needed to START with the Avid studio and a 35MM digital setup with a Mac server? I would be as willing or maybe more willing to watch a well made film in 1080p if the story was so good it did not matter what the screen resolution was or what equipment it was made on.

But now you are discussing the *subject matter* OM, thats not a fair comparison. Omni is talking what it takes to make it *believable* in CG terms. Shit, go look at B5 now. I swear to god the animations were ripped stright from wing commander 3, yet I ignore it cause I like the B5 story.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
But now you are discussing the *subject matter* OM, thats not a fair comparison. Omni is talking what it takes to make it *believable* in CG terms. Shit, go look at B5 now. I swear to god the animations were ripped stright from wing commander 3, yet I ignore it cause I like the B5 story.

THAT is exactly what I am talking about! B5's animation is many levels inferior to what I have seen OMNI do, but OMNI said he waas doing all of that on a laptop! It blows away anything I ever saw on B5. But I loved B5 and watched every season from beginning to end. It was EPIC. It could be done today on a shoestring IF DONE THE ORIGINAL WAY. Take a great story and great characters and you dont even need the visual. Wait, they cool those BOOKS! :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
THAT is exactly what I am talking about! B5's animation is many levels inferior to what I have seen OMNI do, but OMNI said he waas doing all of that on a laptop! It blows away anything I ever saw on B5.
Yeah, but you are forgetting "relative value"
When B5 aired, it's graphics were *good* and they probably paid for it, now, they look like a cheap ass video game that someone did on commercial software that you wouldn't pay to use. You are comparing the original space program that ran off C64's (I know you are old enough to remember them :P ) and giving them a modern laptop and saying "you suck, look at this shit"

But I loved B5 and watched every season from beginning to end. It was EPIC. It could be done today on a shoestring IF DONE THE ORIGINAL WAY. Take a great story and great characters and you dont even need the visual. Wait, they cool those BOOKS! :)
It could be done NOW, oh god yes, of course it could, because B5 was about the *story* more than anything else. B5 was a contemporary of TNG, and even TNG's graphics crap all over them (B5)
The *REAL* question is, would an audience *today* pay for B5?

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
I think that is the crucial difference. While some on here might watch something with Star Trek TNG or B5 style effects, the mass public certainly wouldn't pay for it. Then you have a problem since the product can't be monetized and you'll be out of pocket.