House of Cards (Netflix)

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Looks like Netflix are making yet another original series, and this time it's a remake of the BBC 1990s miniseries House of Cards. It's looks a bit interesting, and it reminds me of the kind of shows you normally see on premium cable channels like HBO.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Do they fund these the traditional way? Or is it funded by NETFLIX only? Just want to know....thx

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Do they fund these the traditional way? Or is it funded by NETFLIX only? Just want to know....thx

Well the show isn't made by Netflix, but by a different production company, so Netflix basically pays a fee to the production company for the rights to 'air' first run episodes of this show. Just like how it works with a tv show on regular networks.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Well the show isn't made by Netflix, but by a different production company, so Netflix basically pays a fee to the production company for the rights to 'air' first run episodes of this show. Just like how it works with a tv show on regular networks.

Netflix actually finances these shows that are exclusive to it. They financed "Lilyhammer" 100%, as well as "House of Cards" and another upcoming series called "Orange is the New Black". They acquired the rights to Arrested Development and will be making new seasons of that show as well.

This is Netflix's new strategy to combat the big studios' decisions to pull content from Netflix. IMO, it's brilliant and would make them the equivalent of a purely web-based HBO.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
got it thanks..i hope it is successful with more productions

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
OMG, I loved the BBC House of Cards mini series (along with To Play the King and The Final Cut). Ian Richardson was amazing in the lead role. I loved when his character would pause and then speak directly to the camera. It made him even more creepy and evil; a truly fabulous villain.

(Yes, I used the word "fabulous". Let's not dwell on it, m'kay?)

Now here comes the negative part of this post -- I don't have high hopes for an American version of this show. To begin with they've lengthened the mini series into a full series of 13 episodes. That portends all sorts of changes to the original concept, and we all know how well that usually works out. :disturbed:

Oh -- and Kevin Spacey? I dunno. I'll have to chew on that one a bit. :moody:

I do give a thumbs-up to Netflix for leading the way on this new type of programming though. :beckett_new049: It's definitely a good thing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why cant they bring back Firefly? :(

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Why cant they bring back Firefly? :(

Well, let's see ...

- Malcolm got fat, became a writer and got his own show called "Murder, He Wrote"
- Hoban is dead
- Zoe, devastated by Hoban's death, became a lawyer and is managing partner at her own law firm in "Suits"

Everyone else is sitting around with idle hands.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, let's see ...

- Malcolm got fat, became a writer and got his own show called "Murder, He Wrote"
- Hoban is dead
- Zoe, devastated by Hoban's death, became a lawyer and is managing partner at her own law firm in "Suits"

Everyone else is sitting around with idle hands.

New actors? The "Cowboys in Space" was the seed of creative thought for Star Trek IIRC.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Simple: Summer Glau curse. ;)

you and that curse! but it is eerie....she is a talented and gorgeous woman you would think any show with her would be a big hit!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
you and that curse! but it is eerie....she is a talented and gorgeous woman you would think any show with her would be a big hit!

The math can't be denied:

Firefly
The 4400
The Unit
Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicles
Dollhouse
The Cape
Alphas

cast-summer-glau-get-cancelled-1307401111x.jpg

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Is there still time to cast her in Revolution?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
OMG, we should totally start an online petition to have Summer Glau added to the cast of Revolution. :anim_59:

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
OMG, we should totally start an online petition to have Summer Glau added to the cast of Revolution. :anim_59:

There just has to be a role for her in this series. She can lift it up and crash it to bits in an episode or two. ;)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
There just has to be a role for her in this series. She can lift it up and crash it to bits in an episode or two. ;)

I almost feel sorry for her after reading a couple interviews she gave for Alphas where she gushed about the role and expressed her desire to be a permanent cast member. You'd think she would know not to get her hopes up by now. :anim_59: