Flood!

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
So, yesterday's tropical storm caused a major flood in my area. Aventura and Hallandale suffered the brunt of it. Most of the area was under a couple feet of water with tons of cars stalled and abandoned all over.

It took me 20 minutes to get to the airport to pick up my wife but the drive back took nearly 7 hours with the backed up traffic and flooding. I'm shocked my car held up driving so deeply immersed in water. Never managed to get home. We ended up having to go north to Fort Lauderdale and stayed at the Marriott Hollywood Beach hotel. Every hotel up the coast was pretty much packed with residents who couldn't get home or were forced to leave their homes.

Today, the water cleared up and managed to finally get home. It was like a scene from a zombie movie. Abandoned cars all over the place, some with doors open, water logged and muddy. It was surreal.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Glad to hear you two are safe. Had something very similar happen to me back in '98. A normal 5 minute drive home took me hours (thank God I hadn't eaten my lunch that day and had it with me still). Sadly, it was the start of my vacation and I spent a good chunk of it cleaning out my flooded basement. :( Horrible experience that still makes me shudder when I think about it.

Bluce Ree

Glad to hear you two are safe. Had something very similar happen to me back in '98. A normal 5 minute drive home took me hours (thank God I hadn't eaten my lunch that day and had it with me still). Sadly, it was the start of my vacation and I spent a good chunk of it cleaning out my flooded basement. :( Horrible experience that still makes me shudder when I think about it.

I remember the house flooding when I was in my teens. The basement became an indoor pool, albeit filled with sewage backwash. When you're a kid, it's kind of cool but my parents weren't very amused.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yes, it totally sucks. Had to throw out a huge chunk of my life. The good thing is that it taught me a lesson about not holding onto inanimate objects. Sure some sentimental stuff is okay to keep but a lot of stuff we think is valuable is really just junk.

Bluce Ree

Yes, it totally sucks. Had to throw out a huge chunk of my life. The good thing is that it taught me a lesson about not holding onto inanimate objects. Sure some sentimental stuff is okay to keep but a lot of stuff we think is valuable is really just junk.

I learned to let go of stuff when I fell hard in 2008. Now, I'm pretty much a nomad when it comes to moving. I can leave just about anything behind at the drop of a hat with no sentimental attachment except the essentials and some small, easily carried mementos.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I LOVE throwing stuff away. It really turns me on weird as that sounds. Nothing drives me crazier than dealing with people who have tons of useless junk in their homes.

Thankfully my mom has been diligent about cleaning out her house ever since dad passed. She's the only person I've ever met who doesn't want to leave a mess for the kids to deal with when she's gone. She even took my advice and labeled the few antiques she's keeping. Now there's a 3 X 5 card taped to the few items in her storage room so we'll know the history and value behind them when the time comes. She also cleaned out her basement to where there's nothing down there except for the washer and dryer and a couple cans of paint.

I guess the catalyst for my mom was when grandma went into the nursing home for the final time and my mom and aunt had to clean out grandma's house. They ended up throwing tons of useless junk away. My mom didn't keep a single thing for herself. It was a learning experience for her.

Now my ex and his family, oy! Don't even get me going on that. :McKayrolleyes:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So, yesterday's tropical storm caused a major flood in my area. Aventura and Hallandale suffered the brunt of it. Most of the area was under a couple feet of water with tons of cars stalled and abandoned all over.

It took me 20 minutes to get to the airport to pick up my wife but the drive back took nearly 7 hours with the backed up traffic and flooding. I'm shocked my car held up driving so deeply immersed in water. Never managed to get home. We ended up having to go north to Fort Lauderdale and stayed at the Marriott Hollywood Beach hotel. Every hotel up the coast was pretty much packed with residents who couldn't get home or were forced to leave their homes.

Today, the water cleared up and managed to finally get home. It was like a scene from a zombie movie. Abandoned cars all over the place, some with doors open, water logged and muddy. It was surreal.

Wait...you guys are still not back in Florida? :) Damn...when you mean "vacation", you REALLY mean it!

Bluce Ree

Wait...you guys are still not back in Florida? :) Damn...when you mean "vacation", you REALLY mean it!

Of course we were back! :icon_lol:

My wife had to go to Haiti for a trade show. She just got back on Friday. It took me 15-20 mins to get to the airport and nearly 7 hours to get back to find my entire area flooded. :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

B

Backstep

If the Fla flood same as the northern snow storm? Sounds much like the same time stranded on the highway and damage to vehicles.

Bluce Ree

If the Fla flood same as the northern snow storm? Sounds much like the same time stranded on the highway and damage to vehicles.

It was a tropical storm that was headed toward the Bahamas. Fortunately, it only lasted a day. If the rain continued, Aventura and Hallandale would have been renamed New Venice.