Donna Summer dead

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
http://todayentertainment.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/17/11745326-donna-summer-dead-at-63

Q6WTD00Z.jpg

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Sad sad news. She made beautiful music with her gorgeous voice and didn't need any "help" from the engineers/sound mixers. Takes me back.....

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Sad sad news. She made beautiful music with her gorgeous voice and didn't need any "help" from the engineers/sound mixers. Takes me back.....

Her music did take advantage of sound mixers and studio engineers, just not Autotune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0h8Pjf4vNM&ob=av2n

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Donna, this is the Last Dance, but you will be fondly remembered!

I was going through high school when Donna was at her peak. That was the awesome "Disco Era" of the late 1970s. Donna was an icon in that time, and she was the Queen. This song was one of her best sellers and was a theme for the disco era. The dancing you see in the video, as well as the clothes and styles of everything was REALLY how we dressed and looked! they are not costumes! :biggrin:

Sing as an angel forever, Donna! :joy: I will remember you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG07rYStCjw

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Awsome and disco should never be in the same sentance.............. :lol:

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Awsome and disco should never be in the same sentance.............. :lol:

You had to be there. ;). It was awesome, trust me on that. :) Not the music as much as the ERA of disco. The age of polyester and shiny shirts and platform shoes. Things were FUN then, before AIDS, before political correctness. Before the internet. :icon_e_wink:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You had to be there. ;). It was awesome, trust me on that. :) Not the music as much as the ERA of disco. The age of polyester and shiny shirts and platform shoes. Things were FUN then, before AIDS, before political correctness. Before the internet. :icon_e_wink:

Before Steve Dahl?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Um...who is Steve Dahl? :redface:

Pretty famous DJ who led the anti-disco crusade that (at least outside of CA) pretty much pulled the rug out from under disco. He did a pardy song called Do You think I'm Disco:

[video=youtube_share;4LAApU-QHfI]-QHfI

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Pretty famous DJ who led the anti-disco crusade that (at least outside of CA) pretty much pulled the rug out from under disco. He did a pardy song called Do You think I'm Disco:

[video=youtube_share;4LAApU-QHfI]-QHfI

:roll:

He sooo did not hit his mark. None of the stuff he is talking about in his parody applies to what I experienced. :) I was partying at Osko's Disco (where Donna recorded Last Dance). It is on the corner of Beverly and Melrose in west LA. It no longer stands, but the egg shaped DJ booth with the hands beneath it were part of the actual club. There was Disco 9000 on Sunset, Power Tools underground club on Park View near downtown LA, lots of cool clubs. If you were popular, and you could dance, and you had some disposable income (from parents :biggrin:), it was like being able to visit Wonderland, every week. :) Imagine that, when teens went out on Saturday night, they went DANCING! There were lights, flashy cars, scantily clad babes (much more so than now). You did not see tattoos on women, and there were no skinny jeans. But there were super short shorts, sexy little black dresses, nice perfumes and an innocence that is forever passed.

I am glad it did not last longer than it did, but it was probably the most fun era for me. There was the early hip hop era which had a burst of underground parties, but by then there were heavy drugs and the cops had portable drug testing and alcohol testing devices. Anyway, that dude Dahl had it all wrong.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

Ahhh
Well, thats the late 60's- 70's and I'll agree, the 70's produced many good things. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Her music did take advantage of sound mixers and studio engineers, just not Autotune.

On studio records sure, every artist back then had mixers and engineers, but live Donna Summer was very real. I've seen her multiple times and could tell she wasn't faking. She had some powerful "pipes" that never changed throughout her life unlike so many other artists. She could belt out the notes the same at 55 as she could at 25. As I understand it she didn't drink or smoke or do drugs which probably helped her to maintain her vocal range. Such a shame that being abstemious didn't keep her from passing early though. :(

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hi OM!

Perhaps at the club you were going to, but there was a lot of right in that parody too. Otherwise it would not have resonated with people (which it did). There was a vapidness to the whole disco scene which is a big part of why it didn't have legs. And I didn't even especially like Dahl. Like a lot of "shock" entertainers he had a bad tendency to go over the top and do parodies of things best left undisturbed (like his parody of Pink Floyd about John Wayne Gacy that got banned - that was beyond tasteless).

Now Donna Summer herself was pretty cool. As already mentioned there was nothing fake about her music and she had the talent. A lot of "artists" today could learn from her example.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
On studio records sure, every artist back then had mixers and engineers, but live Donna Summer was very real. I've seen her multiple times and could tell she wasn't faking. She had some powerful "pipes" that never changed throughout her life unlike so many other artists. She could belt out the notes the same at 55 as she could at 25. As I understand it she didn't drink or smoke or do drugs which probably helped her to maintain her vocal range. Such a shame that being abstemious didn't keep her from passing early though. :(

Yep her voice was "real", not manufactured like so many are today (jessica simpson anyone!:P) and were in the past- milli vanilli anyone?

Oh joelist- the follies of youth...every age group considers THEIR teenage years had the best music, the most authentic experience, etc.... only to other eyes does it look fake, campy, etc....;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hi OM!

Perhaps at the club you were going to, but there was a lot of right in that parody too. Otherwise it would not have resonated with people (which it did). There was a vapidness to the whole disco scene which is a big part of why it didn't have legs. And I didn't even especially like Dahl. Like a lot of "shock" entertainers he had a bad tendency to go over the top and do parodies of things best left undisturbed (like his parody of Pink Floyd about John Wayne Gacy that got banned - that was beyond tasteless).

Now Donna Summer herself was pretty cool. As already mentioned there was nothing fake about her music and she had the talent. A lot of "artists" today could learn from her example.

Of course it was vapid. :) It was supposed to be. The point is that the social landscape was completely different than today. Things were SAFE and the kids actually came home coherent. Perhaps a bit sweaty, but still coherent and not drugged out. Dancing kept everybody slim and trim. The obesity we see today was rare to see. Angel's Flight did not make "fat sizes". :) And it wasnt just one club, it was all of Hollywood, San Francisco, San Diego, also Beverly Hills. Disco was an ERA, not just a place. There was a whole package of clothes, slang expressions, style, colors, and it was FUN!