DEFIANCE game and TV show - sink or swim?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Wow....even boobs couldn't save it. But it could postpone it! :icon10:

Gotta say, the girl on girl scene with the pale babe and the whorehouse babe all made up with glitter eyeshadow, them having wine and all...then making out. It was cool to me. WAY better than the hagfest they did on SGU with Wray, and way better than the Primeval or Sanctuary lesbian kiss scenes. This one was built up...done well. Thing is, it was merely the cherry sitting on top of a turdswirl. :(

Girl-on-girl make out scenes should be banned. Such filth doesn't deserve to be on TV. :daniel01:

Now if Nolan and Bioman were to hookup that would be cool. Hell, I might actually stay tuned into the show for more than two minutes at a time.

ku-xlarge.jpg

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Finally got around to watching Blue Sky no more, I actually didn't mind it :P
To little, to late perhaps, and it could have done without the conversation at the end between the two girls and left it as an implication, but the story itself (the crashing ship, why Sukar came back and what he did was very much "sci fi classic") was not bad at all.
I still think it can be saved, but it will need to become less drama and more scifi inspired problems and resolutions, otherwise, yeah, gonna die.
This enthusiasm was somewhat blunted by seeing the preview for todays (for the US) ep where they explore the fallen ship and find.....................

Making an appearance, so for most of you, I'm sure you will have some..............nostalgia :lol:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Finally got around to watching Blue Sky no more, I actually didn't mind it :P
To little, to late perhaps, and it could have done without the conversation at the end between the two girls and left it as an implication, but the story itself (the crashing ship, why Sukar came back and what he did was very much "sci fi classic") was not bad at all.
I still think it can be saved, but it will need to become less drama and more scifi inspired problems and resolutions, otherwise, yeah, gonna die.
This enthusiasm was somewhat blunted by seeing the preview for todays (for the US) ep where they explore the fallen ship and find.....................

Making an appearance, so for most of you, I'm sure you will have some..............nostalgia :lol:

Where's the feedback button? I thought we had a button to feed back 50k volts to the user of a post.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Where's the feedback button? I thought we had a button to feed back 50k volts to the user of a post.

Did you dislike the nanobots being given as a reason for Sukar coming back and why he did what he did?
That WAS the core of the story was it not?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Ah, BJS picking up a paycheck. Mommy ain't gonna make it to Malibu with sonny only making guest appearances on low-end cable TV shows. :anim_59:

Bluce Ree

Did you dislike the nanobots being given as a reason for Sukar coming back and why he did what he did?

Sure but it doesn't preclude the fact that the episode sucked, IMO.
--- merged: Jun 10, 2013 at 9:07 PM ---
So, today's episode revolved around a synthetic human built by the Voltan to replace well known figures and be used as weapons. The humanoid's secret power, featured in this episode, was crying. Incidentally, Captain Crybaby was played by BJS.

In other news, next week's preview hinted that we will actually get to see some real defiance, except it's the town of Defecation defying other humans. Seriously. :McKayrolleyes:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

That little gem was the worst deus ex machina I ever saw. :facepalm:. They blew it when they had Sukko's body not dissolve in the acid with his other shit. And when he came out of the acid, he was naked and went inside to change into that...outfit, and state that the path to Ishtar (or whatever he called their god) was through him. WHY would nannites do this or be programmed to make Sukko's reanimated/reconstituted body do it? And he built a device which would be useless without his little trek up to the top of the perpetually unfinished arch in Defiance where the transmitter was? Why didnt he just build the freakin transmitter too? OMG fried virgins in a jacuzzi, what the hell?

doublefacepalm.jpg

Bluce Ree

That's cool dude.

Sorry, dude. I am trying to watch it and find something endearing about it but I'm having a hard time. :(
--- merged: Jun 10, 2013 at 9:13 PM ---
That little gem was the worst deus ex machina I ever saw. :facepalm:. They blew it when they had Sukko's body not dissolve in the acid with his other shit. And when he came out of the acid, he was naked and went inside to change into that...outfit, and state that the path to Ishtar (or whatever he called their god) was through him. WHY would nannites do this or be programmed to make Sukko's reanimated/reconstituted body do it? And he built a device which would be useless without his little trek up to the top of the perpetually unfinished arch in Defiance where the transmitter was? Why didnt he just build the freakin transmitter too? OMG fried virgins in a jacuzzi, what the hell?

doublefacepalm-jpg.28291

:icon_rotflmao::laughing::crying-028::smiley-laughing024::happy0007::crying-028::laughing::rotflmao::laughing:

It's like we're trying to outdo each other with the facepalm intensity! Well played, my brother. Well played. :icon_rotflmao:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why is there always scaffolding on the arch at Defiance? HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO REPAIR IT???? The deejay has to climb up that damned arch every day to play records, but if he simply hammered one nail into one panel each trip, the thing would be fixed already.

WHAT IS BEING MINED????

Are there any other towns except Defiance? If I lived there, I would feel like I was in exile from something. There is nothing welcoming about that place. It has drug dealers and gangs and gun runners and thieves, and they use money which can be stolen and hoarded...its a trainwreck.

And I will be there when it crumples in a flaming, smoking heap about this time next year. :icon10:

hunter_running_from_bear_lg_clr.gif

--- merged: Jun 10, 2013 at 9:17 PM ---
Sorry, dude. I am trying to watch it and find something endearing about it but I'm having a hard time. :(
--- merged: Jun 10, 2013 at 9:13 PM ---

:icon_rotflmao::laughing::crying-028::smiley-laughing024::happy0007::crying-028::laughing::rotflmao::laughing:

It's like we're trying to outdo each other with the facepalm intensity! Well played, my brother. Well played. :icon_rotflmao:

You inspired me! :anim_59: :anim_35: :P

Bluce Ree

Why do they even have money? Money is a social economic construct that only has a place in a complex society with a complex economy. In a broken down society with no international trade and no currency control, everything would revert to barter. I have what you need so trade me what I need. What good is money to a man who needs water or food or material to build a home if all of these are scarce and nothing is mass produced?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm sorry but the Moby Dick talk at the start of the episode was too much. What kind of pretentious college drop-out do they have writing this show? What elitist moron actually expects the average SyFy viewer to both comprehend and be interested in predestination and symbolism from a 19th Century work of literature??? :facepalm:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
That little gem was the worst deus ex machina I ever saw. :facepalm:.
give me an example of GOOD D.e.M.
They blew it when they had Sukko's body not dissolve in the acid with his other shit.
Blew it??
The nanites repairing him were in his body, not is clothes dude. what would be more bullshit is him coming out like frelling ironman and his pissy little heart halo.
And when he came out of the acid, he was naked and went inside to change into that...outfit, and state that the path to Ishtar (or whatever he called their god) was through him.
Yeah, "resurrection is such a common thing, why didn't he think of nanites himself......................
WHY would nannites do this or be programmed to make Sukko's reanimated/reconstituted body do it?
It was explained in the ep, the ark brain was programmed to preserve Votan life, lots of Votans in Defiance, so it tried to stop defiance being destroyed.
And he built a device which would be useless without his little trek up to the top of the perpetually unfinished arch in Defiance where the transmitter was? Why didnt he just build the freakin transmitter too?
Oh, I dunno, time constraints? heaven help that it made some kind of sense...............

I get you guys don't like it, and that's fine by me, I don't really like it either, but effectively making shit up, or not bothering to watch it at all (IE, something besides it was on in the background) is just pointless if you want to discuss it.

Bluce Ree

Blew it??
The nanites repairing him were in his body, not is clothes dude. what would be more bullshit is him coming out like frelling ironman and his pissy little heart halo.

Yeah, "resurrection is such a common thing, why didn't he think of nanites himself......................

It was explained in the ep, the ark brain was programmed to preserve Votan life, lots of Votans in Defiance, so it tried to stop defiance being destroyed.

Oh, I dunno, time constraints? heaven help that it made some kind of sense...............

I get you guys don't like it, and that's fine by me, I don't really like it either, but effectively making shit up, or not bothering to watch it at all (IE, something besides it was on in the background) is just pointless if you want to discuss it.

Huh? What? Sorry, I didn't hear anything you said. Defecation was on in the background. :icon_lol:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Blew it??

Strangelove.gif

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why do they even have money? Money is a social economic construct that only has a place in a complex society with a complex economy. In a broken down society with no international trade and no currency control, everything would revert to barter. I have what you need so trade me what I need. What good is money to a man who needs water or food or material to build a home if all of these are scarce and nothing is mass produced?

Nothing to add on that point. You nailed it on the head. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Exactly. :beckett_new049:

The fact that the writers of this show actually expect us to ignore this basic fact of economic reality that you just laid out is insulting.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Blew it??

That is my point. They were in his body, and they were programmed to save the town using the device. Why would they also be programmed to dress in the outfit he wore, say the things he did, and go through all that bullshit to get to the top of the Arch? The best Deus ex Machina I have seen in recent times is the last two part episode of Voyager called "Endgame". It was plausible because of previous canon about the Borg transwarp conduits, and besides the hokey "Admiral from the future" thing, I found it much more enjoyable than the utterly ridiculous "wormhole drive" used on EotG for SG Atlantis. Not the best ever, but passable.

Its pathetically lacking. So, why didnt Ark Brain protect the town when the force field thingie got blowed up? :confused0006: :rolleye0014: Im not willing to give them a pass on that at all. I do enough stretching and yawning in the morning.

Its so bad, and it is fun to hate because they give you SO MUCH material to work with! I mean, Destiny in SGU kinda contained the moronic writing on the ship and within a group of inept, unstable characters. We had our magical survival kit. But this soap opera has so much wrong with it that you can only choose from the worst of it. I am watching every single episode. I have seen every single episode. Neither one of us is "right" or "wrong" about the show, but we definitely have a different take on it! :P

I am not exactly "hating" the show because I watch it as a soap opera created to be mega cutscenes for the game developing along with the show. But guess what? It doesnt. The "interconnection" goes one way only. The show is in the can already (as are the outcomes of the game). You cant fail to end up in the same place in the "story" as players who shoot more things and gather more items/resources. This is not science fiction or MMO, it is actually both. I get that. But this thing is not well thought out, and both the game and the show suffer because of it. The most successful games sold are those which have a good mythology. Many come with little books telling the backstory and history and culture of its characters. Most have cutscenes which fill in the story or tell you what's next or create mystery. Neither the game or the show for Defiance does that.

So, this is not just hating on Defiance for the sake of it...not for me at least. :) I want my$59.00 back. :icon_cool:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
That is my point. They were in his body, and they were programmed to save the town using the device.
Right
Why would they also be programmed to dress in the outfit he wore, say the things he did, and go through all that bullshit to get to the top of the Arch?
They did not turn him into a automaton dude, they repaired the person. They used the available material to affect an outcome, and they succeeded, even if indirectly.
The best Deus ex Machina I have seen in recent times is the last two part episode of Voyager called "Endgame". It was plausible because of previous canon about the Borg transwarp conduits, and besides the hokey "Admiral from the future" thing, I found it much more enjoyable than the utterly ridiculous "wormhole drive" used on EotG for SG Atlantis. Not the best ever, but passable.
Come on dude, the best you can come up with yourself is "hokey" and "passable" D.e.M. just sucks period.

Its pathetically lacking. So, why didnt Ark Brain protect the town when the force field thingie got blowed up? :confused0006: :rolleye0014: Im not willing to give them a pass on that at all. I do enough stretching and yawning in the morning.
It came down in the Razor rain *at the beginning of the ep*, not at the beginning of the show, what is there to give it a pass for?

Its so bad, and it is fun to hate because they give you SO MUCH material to work with! I mean, Destiny in SGU kinda contained the moronic writing on the ship and within a group of inept, unstable characters. We had our magical survival kit. But this soap opera has so much wrong with it that you can only choose from the worst of it.
The problem I have with a lot of your examples is, they are crap dude, just look at the one you just gave. Find one that is just WTF (like the "cache of preserved Dodge' they found") and I'll pile on with the cry of bullshit, but not for shit that is explained, even if it is poorly explained.
I am watching every single episode. I have seen every single episode. Neither one of us is "right" or "wrong" about the show, but we definitely have a different take on it! :P
True.

I am not exactly "hating" the show because I watch it as a soap opera created to be mega cutscenes for the game developing along with the show. But guess what? It doesnt. The "interconnection" goes one way only. The show is in the can already (as are the outcomes of the game). You cant fail to end up in the same place in the "story" as players who shoot more things and gather more items/resources.
Of course, you cannot have an entirely open ended game, unless you have no real storyline.

This is not science fiction or MMO, it is actually both. I get that. But this thing is not well thought out, and both the game and the show suffer because of it. The most successful games sold are those which have a good mythology. Many come with little books telling the backstory and history and culture of its characters. Most have cutscenes which fill in the story or tell you what's next or create mystery. Neither the game or the show for Defiance does that.
You may see more of that ins S2 of the show and patch 2.0 of the game.

So, this is not just hating on Defiance for the sake of it...not for me at least. :) I want my$59.00 back. :icon_cool:
Shoulda listened to Omni and not got it at all :lol: