DEFIANCE game and TV show - sink or swim?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This is par for the course with MBG, When SGU was first starting to fail and the talk turned to money per episode MBG ad for years claimed wrestling paid for 'other' shows on the network. The rabid SGU fans asked where was the financial support from the profits of wrestling for season 3 of SGU, the forms had a major scrub of any mention of wrestling pays for shows. MBG even tried to denial she ever said the network would or could use money from on show to prop up another show till i posted a screen cap of her saying just that :shep_lol: which was quickly scrubed.

Wayyyy back I got into a little 'tiff' with her and "scifigirl"--i think-another mod. I was basically accusing them of being paid cheerleaders for syfy and that they must be paid for running the forums AND posting all of the "yeah team syfy" answers and postings like the ones you mention. I mean, how else can they seriously post such glib stuff and never admit to the crap syfy puts on? And defend wrastlin' and ghost huntin' on top of that?

I can seriously see a couple of employees sitting around monitoring the forums for "bad vibe" comments-not offensive or obv bad things but things "anti SYFY".

It is no wonder you did not get banned from there for putting up in their face what they said and hid.

Too bad "CylonRomeo" isn't here for this specific thing--he is very much in hate with these ladies over there.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Wayyyy back I got into a little 'tiff' with her and "scifigirl"--i think-another mod. I was basically accusing them of being paid cheerleaders for syfy and that they must be paid for running the forums AND posting all of the "yeah team syfy" answers and postings like the ones you mention. I mean, how else can they seriously post such glib stuff and never admit to the crap syfy puts on? And defend wrastlin' and ghost huntin' on top of that?

I can seriously see a couple of employees sitting around monitoring the forums for "bad vibe" comments-not offensive or obv bad things but things "anti SYFY".

It is no wonder you did not get banned from there for putting up in their face what they said and hid.

Too bad "CylonRomeo" isn't here for this specific thing--he is very much in hate with these ladies over there.

I'm sure you're right in some regard when it comes to the "mods" there. I don't know that they actually work directly for SyFy and/or if they are compensated financially for their "work". I suspect that "mod" duties are farmed out to a company that specializes in online marketing. NBC probably has several companies that it uses to go out and gin up interest in their properties -- and SyFy is an NBC property.

As for the "mods" themselves, well, if they are volunteers and not paid in money then they are no doubt rewarded with perks of some sort. There's no other explanation for such cheer leading behavior as DEFIANCE simply isn't that good that it's going to command undying loyalty of that sort from unpaid fans.
--- merged: May 16, 2013 at 9:35 PM ---
Cylonromeo was a tool.

:shep_lol:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Nobody's. A useless tool nobody wants found at the bottom of the liquidation bin at the hardware store that sits there until the store closes, rots and is finally demolished.

but there only a $1.99! :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well, it had to happen eventually I suppose and it did tonight - an episode of Defiance that was actually watchable. Maybe it was because the story was straightforward and could be followed even with the lack of backstory and also that for once (actually the first time in the series so far) we did not have goofy subplots that required knowledge from a wiki to understand and follow.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, it had to happen eventually I suppose and it did tonight - an episode of Defiance that was actually watchable. Maybe it was because the story was straightforward and could be followed even with the lack of backstory and also that for once (actually the first time in the series so far) we did not have goofy subplots that required knowledge from a wiki to understand and follow.
Bout time! I have not watched it yet, but THANK YOU Syfy for Syfy Rewind. Im really liking that a lot. The show...not so much. :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Bout time! I have not watched it yet, but THANK YOU Syfy for Syfy Rewind. Im really liking that a lot. The show...not so much. :)

Meh, Joe is being kind. I watched it and it was still "Law & Order: Future World".

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Meh, Joe is being kind. I watched it and it was still "Law & Order: Future World".

JL is right in that it was straight forward and could be followed (for the most part) but personally I was bored and kept changing the channel. I actually switched to watching a stupid Anna Ferris movie that I had seen before, that's how bored I was by DEFIANCE.

And Bluce is right in it being a L&O episode, replete with attenuated Firefly characters and setting. It was all just so much "meh".

Oh -- and I'm completely done with the "Irisa" character. Her constant angry, brooding, dark, silent, goofy eyed staring at people is just so lame. Seriously, she's a stupid character. I would say she needs to go but quite honestly it doesn't matter to me as I'm giving up on this show.

Bluce Ree

JL is right in that it was straight forward and could be followed (for the most part) but personally I was bored and kept changing the channel. I actually switched to watching a stupid Anna Ferris movie that I had seen before, that's how bored I was by DEFIANCE.

And Bluce is right in it being a L&O episode, replete with attenuated Firefly characters and setting. It was all just so much "meh".

Oh -- and I'm completely done with the "Irisa" character. Her constant angry, brooding, dark, silent, goofy eyed staring at people is just so lame. Seriously, she's a stupid character. I would say she needs to go but quite honestly it doesn't matter to me as I'm giving up on this show.

I've got money on the table that says the season finale will have some actual "Defiance". Whatever the story is supposed to be (because I still haven't a clue what Defiance's storyline is supposed to be other than being "Cop Land: 2046") it will be what Syfylys considers to be the show's payoff.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I've got money on the table that says the season finale will have some actual "Defiance". Whatever the story is supposed to be (because I still haven't a clue what Defiance's storyline is supposed to be other than being "Cop Land: 2046") it will be what Syfylys considers to be the show's payoff.

The season finale:

They will have another battle to remind us that this show is linked to a game, so expect that to be shoehorned into the finale. Nolan will be fighting with someone, probably in the mine where the bad guy sticks the ornament thingee into the stone and it starts to glow (or something stupid like that). Irisa will be playing out her messiah thing in some confusing, mind-meld montage of visions that mean nothing and that no one will care about. The albino alien will make his move and reveal his true colors, but next season all will be forgiven and he'll be back to his old self. A minor character will be killed off because, well, this show is "edgy" and anything can happen so you better keep watching. ;):rolleye0014:

Oh -- and next season Irisa will be toned down and softened. No more psychopathic edge to her. They will try (and fail) to make her likable. :rolleyes: No matter though because this turd ain't gonna float past the preordained 2 season order.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Note I said "watchable" not good.

As to the show being law enforcement themed, that was telegraphed before it even came on the air. Really if you don't like the law enforcement or western genres Defiance will really grate on you.

Bluce Ree

Note I said "watchable" not good.

As to the show being law enforcement themed, that was telegraphed before it even came on the air. Really if you don't like the law enforcement or western genres Defiance will really grate on you.

I don't mind the law enforcement and western genres. I dislike when they're cleverly disguised as sci-fi shows to reel in an audience with false expectations.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I don't mind the law enforcement and western genres. I dislike when they're cleverly disguised as sci-fi shows to real in an audience with false expectations.

I agree. :beckett_new049:

Also, you misspelled "reel". So much for the Canadian educational system. :facepalm: :P

Seriously though, I can get into scifi shows and movies that have a law enforcement and/or western style to them, but the actual science has to be at the forefront; it has to be integral to the story. For instance, I remember reading a story way back in high school by I think Issac Asimov (Rac will probably know which story and author I mean) that was a straight forward murder mystery replete with a well worn "gum shoe". What makes it a scifi story though is the fact that on this world (Solara I think) the people are so deathly afraid of physical contact that they isolate themselves and only meet other humans thru holographic programs. The detective has to figure out how the murder victim got his head bashed in when there was no one around to physically commit the crime (and no, it wasn't done by robot). Even a holographic visitor to this guy's home couldn't physically pick something up and bludgeon him with it. So there you have the mystery genre wrapped up with the scifi genre (at least I think so, others may differ).

At any rate, I assume you folks know what I'm driving at here. And also, when I said "Solara" I wasn't talking about a George Cloony movie. Just FYI.