DEFIANCE game and TV show - sink or swim?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
<--- Looks up.

All true folks, but I cannot deny that the writing and acting for S.O.A. is Good. If we are seriously going to critique something, we cannot allow ourselves the luxury of basing our opinions on what we do or don't "happen to like", can we?

It took me a few episodes, about half way into the first season, before I got hooked. That show is like crack. My wife and I are both addicted.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
It took me a few episodes, about half way into the first season, before I got hooked. That show is like crack. My wife and I are both addicted.

But you can attest that in spite of what you feel about the show, it is well written and crafted?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually The Dresden Files was pretty good. The rest were dreck however.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I ride a bike and a friend of mine said to watch SOA . He said I would like it cause it has bikes in it . WRONG !!! I could not get into it as I have no respect for bikers like that .They look like shit and they ride shit and they do bad shit and they treat women like shit . Nuff said :) :) :) Good actors in it though :) :) :) . Just not my cup of tea .

My neighbor and his wife have two HD's . They shake the crap out of my house and my head when they leave the neighborhood which seems to take 5 minutes before you don't hear them anymore . Me no like noisy bikes :( :( :( My bike sounds like a mosquito coming at you and by you and then leaves a wonderful smell of 2 stroke oil in the air that clears all the bugs out of the sky . Now that's a bike :) :) :)

I just assumed, due to your name, that you rode a Triumph Triple (3 cylinder). Triumph makes good bikes. If I still rode cycles I'd probably have on in my stable. :beckett_new049:
--- merged: May 7, 2013 at 7:16 AM ---
Actually The Dresden Files was pretty good. The rest were dreck however.

From what I understand the books for The Dresden Files has a big fan following. I wasn't familiar with the books but I thought the show was okay and I really believe that if SyFy (SciFi) had supported it more then it would have run successfully for several seasons.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so-defiance ep last night (yes i am being reluctantly dragged into it like i was with TWD) anyone watch it?

and,is anyone else getting tired with having "shtaka(or whatever)" trying to become so much like "frak"(which was 're-imagined' along with the rest of origBSG) being forced down our throats? Trying so hard to squiggle into the current vox popular lexicon like frak did.

I guess when syfy says "from the people who brought you BSG" they mean the stupid little nobody people with bad ideas people.

also, didn't get in much of FIREFLY but i did see SERENITY several times and i know it is a kind of amalgam of the series--but in the point of the "happy hooker" cum "damsel in distress" wasn't this a recurring theme on that scifi show as well?

And yes, this idea of "flawed people doing heroic things" is getting quite old and overused

each time a watch i keep seeing lifts and cliched plotpoints from so many other shows. last night included a bit of FRINGE with the draining of adrenal fluid to make a crack like drug.

and i still don't get what the hell they are mining for in/over/under old st louis? antiques? memorabilia?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
so-defiance ep last night (yes i am being reluctantly dragged into it like i was with TWD) anyone watch it?

and,is anyone else getting tired with having "shtaka(or whatever)" trying to become so much like "frak"(which was 're-imagined' along with the rest of origBSG) being forced down our throats? Trying so hard to squiggle into the current vox popular lexicon like frak did.

I guess when syfy says "from the people who brought you BSG" they mean the stupid little nobody people with bad ideas people.

also, didn't get in much of FIREFLY but i did see SERENITY several times and i know it is a kind of amalgam of the series--but in the point of the "happy hooker" cum "damsel in distress" wasn't this a recurring theme on that scifi show as well?

And yes, this idea of "flawed people doing heroic things" is getting quite old and overused

each time a watch i keep seeing lifts and cliched plotpoints from so many other shows. last night included a bit of FRINGE with the draining of adrenal fluid to make a crack like drug.

and i still don't get what the hell they are mining for in/over/under old st louis? antiques? memorabilia?

Yes, I too am tired of the alien slang that they use so casually. It's dumb. It was one thing to do it in BSG but it has become ridiculous now. For a writer to use it in a script reveals a shocking lack of talent and a not so shocking amount of cynicism on his/her part.

And yes, the happy hooker gimmick is tired. There's nothing cute or nice or heartfelt about her job as a prostitute/madam/brothel owner. She isn't a misunderstood girl with a heart of gold, she's a prostitute. It's not that deep and the story about "Saint Finnegan" really didn't interest me. I could hear the "flawed people doing heroic things" plot coming from a mile away.

I find I'm really losing interest in this show the more they don't answer questions, like the one you ask about what they are mining. Why the hell am I expected to be interested in a story that the writers refuse to explain??? I don't care what is going to be revealed in the season finale, I just want to know what the hell is going on to begin with, which the writers haven't told us yet.

B

Backstep

Yes, I too am tired of the alien slang that they use so casually. It's dumb. It was one thing to do it in BSG but it has become ridiculous now. For a writer to use it in a script reveals a shocking lack of talent and a not so shocking amount of cynicism on his/her part.

And yes, the happy hooker gimmick is tired. There's nothing cute or nice or heartfelt about her job as a prostitute/madam/brothel owner. She isn't a misunderstood girl with a heart of gold, she's a prostitute. It's not that deep and the story about "Saint Finnegan" really didn't interest me. I could hear the "flawed people doing heroic things" plot coming from a mile away.

I find I'm really losing interest in this show the more they don't answer questions, like the one you ask about what they are mining. Why the hell am I expected to be interested in a story that the writers refuse to explain??? I don't care what is going to be revealed in the season finale, I just want to know what the hell is going on to begin with, which the writers haven't told us yet.

Unobtainium?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Saw the episode.

Started with the usual (for now) gratuitous sex scene that literally has nothing to do with the story. At least this time it wasn't S&M.

And again the failure of the writers to actually ever EXPLAIN THE STINKING BACKSTORY bites them in the rear. We have an adrenalin ring operating in the town and the bioman is part of it. But aside from one line from our sheriff we basically don't know why the stuff is even valuable. Or as shaved asked what exactly are they mining?

On the other hand, Jamie Murray is still good in her part and her husband is growing a bit on me too. While being a gangster basically he had very valid advice for the sheriff about what law enforcement is really about. It's a pity they couldn't just take him and his family out of this show and transplant them into a better explained setting and show. Those two characters so far are the only ones in the show that even partly work.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Saw the episode.

Started with the usual (for now) gratuitous sex scene that literally has nothing to do with the story. At least this time it wasn't S&M.

And again the failure of the writers to actually ever EXPLAIN THE STINKING BACKSTORY bites them in the rear. We have an adrenalin ring operating in the town and the bioman is part of it. But aside from one line from our sheriff we basically don't know why the stuff is even valuable. Or as shaved asked what exactly are they mining?

On the other hand, Jamie Murray is still good in her part and her husband is growing a bit on me too. While being a gangster basically he had very valid advice for the sheriff about what law enforcement is really about. It's a pity they couldn't just take him and his family out of this show and transplant them into a better explained setting and show. Those two characters so far are the only ones in the show that even partly work.

I think that Datak may be the only likeable character in the bunch--him and everyone who died in ep1 :rolleye0014:

And what was with the two Capathians (whatever) aliens cruising in the 60's convertible? ok, aliens come to earth,global war ensues and the destruction from it, terra forming happens and the destruction from it and we are to believe that a pristine classic car is still rolling around with some alien smack dealers at the wheel?

i guess if we want the backstory we will just have to wiki it...
--- merged: May 7, 2013 at 1:36 PM ---
I think that Datak may be the only likeable character in the bunch--him and everyone who died in ep1 :rolleye0014:

And what was with the two Capathians (whatever) aliens cruising in the 60's convertible? ok, aliens come to earth,global war ensues and the destruction from it, terra forming happens and the destruction from it and we are to believe that a pristine classic car is still rolling around with some alien smack dealers at the wheel?

i guess if we want the backstory we will just have to wiki it...

oh and did anyone pick up that Ulysses the bioman is apparently a homosexual? No issue with homosexuals, but just how may social issues are they going to try and incompletely address per episode?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The funny thing is with no backstory we don't even know if Ulysses has any "sexuality". After all he has an off switch in his buttocks? For all we know Biomen are sexless lumps of muscle and such that we basically bred in test tubes as nothing but soldiers. Again the lack of explained backstory strikes.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I just assumed, due to your name, that you rode a Triumph Triple (3 cylinder). Triumph makes good bikes. If I still rode cycles I'd probably have on in my stable. :beckett_new049:

Close my friend ,,,but not British . Japanese . You have forgotten about the Widow Maker 2 stroke animals from 1969 through to 1979 made by Kawasaki . They were all 3 cylinder crazy acceleration bikes . I bought mine when I was 17 and restored it in 2010 .
A friend of mine has the Triumph 3 banger only they were four stroke . Just boggels my mind when I look at it . So different than a 2 stroke .
The new Triumph 3 banger is huge and I believe over 2000cc .

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The funny thing is with no backstory we don't even know if Ulysses has any "sexuality". After all he has an off switch in his buttocks? For all we know Biomen are sexless lumps of muscle and such that we basically bred in test tubes as nothing but soldiers. Again the lack of explained backstory strikes.

it was something Datak said quickly when he and Nolan went into that camper where the other white alien lived. it was something like "ulysses spends time (here) playing with (character's name)"

could be just a script thing, but ulysses was also acting quite effeminate

by the way--catch the AXE commercials with the cast lookalikes fighting the "bioman"? "AXE is a proud presenter of DEFIANCE..."

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes, the line was:

"Ulysses likes Castithans"

Not that he/she/it couldn't be. Just that again the lack of backstory exposition plus what little we have seen of the character gives us next to nothing to go on.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
We need to break this topic into a forum and then discuss episodes like we did with SGU. Most of us here seem to be watching it (for whatever twisted reason). I just turned on Episode 4 on ASyfy Rewind and I was already yelling outloud "COME ON!" :facepalm:. They are really cruising around in a 1970s convertible, and nobody really is tripping on it. And then they get busted and in the trunk is MONEY and contraband? Some vision of the future, eh? JUST LOL!

I had to pause the show because the trunk scene (which is only about 5 minutes into the episode) almost made me throw the remote at the screen. I miss my ex gf's beanie babies. :(

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Beanie Babies are not just the domain of the Romney rich dude................ :lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Beanie Babies are not just the domain of the Romney rich dude................ :lol:

But having her with me gave me an excuse to have them. :icon_lol: How would it look for me to actually go shopping for my own beanie babies? perhaps some Nerf balls...a football or a baseball or assorted ones. :) Fake Hollywood rocks would do as well....:smiley-laughing021:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
But having her with me gave me an excuse to have them. :icon_lol: How would it look for me to actually go shopping for my own beanie babies? perhaps some Nerf balls...a football or a baseball or assorted ones. :) Fake Hollywood rocks would do as well....:smiley-laughing021:

You live alone and make 150k, who gives a toss what people think? :lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You live alone and make 150k, who gives a toss what people think? :lol:

Thanks for the 50K raise! But Im only just over the 100K mark...Bluce is the Romney Rich dude. :)