Color Meanings in Business

Highlander

GateFans Cadet
I found this when I was building my website for my jewelry. Now I am torn between red and orange for backgrounds. Red indicates passion and if it were auctions ebay says auctions with red backgrounds generally get higher bids. The article says however orange generates sales which is what I want to do. Man I hate this.
cylon-pancarte04.gif

Looked for decent background with red and orange for fun. Stuck out so far. I think I may build it so I can swap background out and see which creates more sales and visits. Could prove to be intresting experiment.
icon_e_ugeek.gif

For complete article.....

http://www.empower-yourself-with-color-psychology.com/color-meanings-in-business.html

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'd think that red would signify a "warning" sub-consciously, so I would avoid using it. I find orange much more inviting and "warm".

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I'd think that red would signify a "warning" sub-consciously, so I would avoid using it. I find orange much more inviting and "warm".

It actually makes sense to me that red would work better for an auction site due to the simple fact that the auctions have a time limit.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Studies have shown that people tend to bid more aggressively on items presented with a red background.

It only goes to prove that people are just odd.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My brother uses this knowledge in his advertising work. :)

According to him:

Red signifies danger ow warning. It also captures attention. Especially bright red. Seeing it can actually increase the heart rate.

Yellow and black together also signifies danger. Venomous snakes and poisonous insects are these colors, and some harmless insects use these colors to ward off predators.

Yellow and orange and most of the "gold" shades indicate value and health.

Blue confers peace and tranquility. The heart rate can be slowed by blue shades, with the effect being stronger as it approaches the darker shades to black

Green confers peace and comfort, and when combined with blue shades it can double the effect.

Him and I have these conversations and I do not understand it any more than you do. But suffice it to say that the psychology of colors is well documented and known, and is used aggressively in marketing. Entire brands have been revived simply by changing the colors used in the packaging. There is a lot of information available on this subject:

http://psychology.about.com/od/sensationandperception/a/colorpsych.htm

http://sunlightenment.com/the-effect-of-light-and-color-on-human-physiology/

How you use these colors "in business" all depends on what the effect is you want to have on your customers. Colors have actual physiological effects on not just humans, but all apes, monkeys and other primates who share the same visual acuity as humans. We are already programmed to react in certain ways when color is employed in a particular fashion. Apes and monkeys and other primates with a full visual spectrum have been known to stare at sunsets.

Beautiful-Sky.jpg

The picture in the spoiler will cause your body to release endorphins, and this can be measured. Notice how the spectrum is followed exactly from the green grass to the violet twilight. :)

Highlander

GateFans Cadet
I found a background that has gold to orange in gradient with some blinking stars which looked to rich to me so I will try that. Thanks for all your help.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Studies have shown that people tend to bid more aggressively on items presented with a red background.

It only goes to prove that people are just odd.

That is odd, at least to me, but then again, what do I know? :anim_59:

Years ago I managed a certain well-known upscale housewares retailer and we'd sell tons of mulling spices. Many realtors and people selling their own homes believed that by simmering a pot of mulling spices on the stove during open houses that would subconsciously give people a very welcoming, homey feeling. I don't know if it really worked though, I just know we sold tons of the stuff.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
That is odd, at least to me, but then again, what do I know? :anim_59:

Years ago I managed a certain well-known upscale housewares retailer and we'd sell tons of mulling spices. Many realtors and people selling their own homes believed that by simmering a pot of mulling spices on the stove during open houses that would subconsciously give people a very welcoming, homey feeling. I don't know if it really worked though, I just know we sold tons of the stuff.
I have been given to understand by countless real estate professionals that baking chocolate chip cookies will give that same feeling of hominess and well-being to a prospective buyer.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
All of this psychological knowledge of colors, smells, textures, sounds and sensations used to manipulate behavior or emotions forms the basis for what used to sometimes be called "witchcraft" (not to be confused with Wiccan witchcraft). It is a very ancient and arcane art. Nothing evil about it, just subliminal.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
My brother uses this knowledge in his advertising work. :)

According to him:

Red signifies danger ow warning. It also captures attention. Especially bright red. Seeing it can actually increase the heart rate.

Yellow and black together also signifies danger. Venomous snakes and poisonous insects are these colors, and some harmless insects use these colors to ward off predators.

Yellow and orange and most of the "gold" shades indicate value and health.

Blue confers peace and tranquility. The heart rate can be slowed by blue shades, with the effect being stronger as it approaches the darker shades to black

Green confers peace and comfort, and when combined with blue shades it can double the effect.

Him and I have these conversations and I do not understand it any more than you do. But suffice it to say that the psychology of colors is well documented and known, and is used aggressively in marketing. Entire brands have been revived simply by changing the colors used in the packaging. There is a lot of information available on this subject:

http://psychology.about.com/od/sensationandperception/a/colorpsych.htm

http://sunlightenment.com/the-effect-of-light-and-color-on-human-physiology/

How you use these colors "in business" all depends on what the effect is you want to have on your customers. Colors have actual physiological effects on not just humans, but all apes, monkeys and other primates who share the same visual acuity as humans. We are already programmed to react in certain ways when color is employed in a particular fashion. Apes and monkeys and other primates with a full visual spectrum have been known to stare at sunsets.

The picture in the spoiler will cause your body to release endorphins, and this can be measured. Notice how the spectrum is followed exactly from the green grass to the violet twilight. :)

I just looked at the pic in the spoiler and I really wanna go there. :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just looked at the pic in the spoiler and I really wanna go there. :(

It has been digitally enhanced to produce a specific response in the body (to release endorphins). The effect is physical relaxation. This can actually measured! I found that interesting. I would love to live in that. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
All of this psychological knowledge of colors, smells, textures, sounds and sensations used to manipulate behavior or emotions forms the basis for what used to sometimes be called "witchcraft" (not to be confused with Wiccan witchcraft). It is a very ancient and arcane art. Nothing evil about it, just subliminal.

Both actually, "Colour Magic" IS used in Wicca, in fact it is used in most "magical systems", esp ceromonial types. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Both actually, "Colour Magic" IS used in Wicca, in fact it is used in most "magical systems", esp ceromonial types. :)

I stand corrected! :)