Cat Lovers Thread

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So, I just listened to a message from my vet's office reminding me AGAIN that Siete's "wellness exam" is due, and when can I call to schedule the appointment. :) I do want to take him for a checkup, but definitely not there. In fact, I am going to make a point to avoid all veterinarian offices which are part of a chain, or have any Royal Canin products or Hills Science Diet food displayed at the front counter, or ANY poster ads for pet products displayed.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am seriously thinking about getting Siete a companion. I have been reading so many cat blogs, and many say that an older cat won't appreciate a new cat in the mix. Then again, they refer to mismatching the cats. An older neutered male cat will probably not get along with a kitten, because the kitten will always want to play and will be all over him. Getting an older cat seems to be the right choice, and it should be an older spayed female or an older neutered male. There is a lot of talk about matching personalities. But why am I thinking about getting him a companion?

1. He seeks out the companionship of other cats in my building. He begs to go out, then he goes to each of the doors where cats live and literally cries for them. My neighbors with the two cats will let them out and he goes to them and touches noses and hangs as close to them as possible.
  2. He meows to EVERY cat he sees, even on TV.
  3. He grew up with a small dog and his best buddy Dante who passed two years ago.
  4. He hated Fisher until Dante was gone, then he became friends with him and the two would frequently sleep close to each other.
Then again, he seems to be very happy with me and he is still playful and active and affectionate. Anybody have thoughts on this?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Looks like he likes you but would prefer to hang with his own species. :)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
You could probably rescue some poor sweet kitty from a pound.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I would get him a girl kitten, I find that cats tend to be less threatened by the opposite sex then if you get one of the same.

This is especially true of my past girl cats, the boys not as much.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I would get him a girl kitten, I find that cats tend to be less threatened by the opposite sex then if you get one of the same.

This is especially true of my past girl cats, the boys not as much.

I know he loves girl cats, since there are two in the building and he sings to them every morning and they come to the window. :) Their owners think it's the cutest thing and I do too. But a kitten would be a problem. Too much energy! My big guy is an adult/senior cat now. A kitten would annoy him.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Looks like he likes you but would prefer to hang with his own species. :)

He adores me. :) But he needs a cat buddy. He is very friendly with cats and likes dogs too.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I would at least look for a younger girl cat, like maybe 6 months and fixed. They tend to calm down after they get fixed, but the youth in her will keep him young and bring out his playful side.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I would at least look for a younger girl cat, like maybe 6 months and fixed. They tend to calm down after they get fixed, but the youth in her will keep him young and bring out his playful side.

Really? 6 months vs 8 years...that is quite a huge gap. He isn't a pedophile!

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
If they are both fixed, you should have no worries in that way! LOL.

Yes, younger animals help keep the older ones young. It works with dogs as well as cats. First they are a parental figure and then they are buddies.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I know he loves girl cats, since there are two in the building and he sings to them every morning and they come to the window. :) Their owners think it's the cutest thing and I do too. But a kitten would be a problem. Too much energy! My big guy is an adult/senior cat now. A kitten would annoy him.
You could get two kittens. That way they could play with each other when he doesn't want to, but he could still join in when he wants.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You could get two kittens. That way they could play with each other when he doesn't want to, but he could still join in when he wants.

Nah, I am not gonna house 3 cats again, but it is a great suggestion!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Precious! That bottom picture...why are cats so into pianos and tinkling sounds like music boxes? My Siete will curl up next to one of my speakers when I play classical piano music fron the internet. He loves the slower stuff. But his favorite is this:

I downloaded that video and stripped the music and added it to an 8-hour cat video. This one:

He watches the videos and makes that chattering sound when he sees the birds. Then he curls up next to one of the speakers and goes to sleep. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Cats and humans react to certain pitch and frequencies that we find calming and soothing or touching or intimidating. It's like a mother voice is imprinted in our brains since birth.

That is true. I think a lot of pet owners don't realize that their cats and dogs actually watch the TV set. But they will not be interested if there are cartoons on, or humans sitting on a set of a talk show or a TV show. But they do react when they see things they recognize, like other cats and dogs, birds, balls, insects, things set in natural environments that are familiar to them. I was watching a nature show about eagles and hawks, and my cat heard the call of a hawk and looked up at the ceiling wildly before hiding under the table. So it's sounds too. My other previous two cats rarely looked as intently at the TV as Siete has. He used to walk to the TV and stay there until I turned it on. I wrote about that here years ago. He is still like that. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so basic but clever and i am sure so many cat owners are guilty