As seen on TV....

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
We all laugh at some of the things offered on TV. We have a local tv reporter who "tests" things out a couple times a week and he gives it a thumbs up or down. he tested the "perfect tortilla bowl" pan set and gave them the thumbs up. Mr. Rac was impressed (he loves taco salads) so I told Mr. Rac that we could just use some corelle noodle bowls and do the same thing- but noooooooooooo he found the tortilla pan set at CVS and now I'm a "proud" owner. the silly thing is they work quite well. :p

so good or bad luck with "as seen on tv"?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
the best luck we have had recently is with the "orgreenic" pans-they actually work as advertised-just got to remember to cook at about half the heat you would normally. the ceramic "ninja blade (?)" (the white bladed knife) worked pretty well too.

the recent worst-My Pillow. Followed direction to fluff in a heated dryer first, yadda yadda-they are no more firm then the "best" pillows conventionally made in our opinion

Good thing about this stuff is now it is a bit more worry free to try out. if you buy at cvs or wal mart you can always return it quick and easy.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Orgreenic pans are garbage. I bought one and everything sticks to it just like any other ceramic coated pan. The first thing I cooked in it to test the pan was cheese. I had to pry it off the pan.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Orgreenic pans are garbage. I bought one and everything sticks to it just like any other ceramic coated pan. The first thing I cooked in it to test the pan was cheese. I had to pry it off the pan.
what was the very first thing you did with the pan BEFORE cooking the cheese?

we have three of them in different sizes we cook all kinds of items (can't say we fry cheese though), it has drastically cut to near zero our use of cooking oils/ margarine/butter.

you have to use half temp on heat (as per directions). the clean up requires little to no soap as well

been using them for over a year-no issues

Bluce Ree

what was the very first thing you did with the pan BEFORE cooking the cheese?

Coat the pan with oil and heat it up to "season" it, per the instructions.

we have three of them in different sizes we cook all kinds of items (can't say we fry cheese though), it has drastically cut to near zero our use of cooking oils/ margarine/butter.

you have to use half temp on heat (as per directions). the clean up requires little to no soap as well

been using them for over a year-no issues

I don't fry anything. Cheese and egg can be prepared in the pan without using a drop of oil. I had a stone pan that worked wonderfully that way. I haven't been able to find anything like it down here.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

I don't fry anything. Cheese and egg can be prepared in the pan without using a drop of oil. I had a stone pan that worked wonderfully that way. I haven't been able to find anything like it down here.

then perhaps you got a defective one--that is what we did and all three work great, did you cut your cooking heat by half? i dunno, look i am the last one to recommend ASOTV Crap but this is one of 2 things i have ever bought in this category that actually work let alone work well

now they have "diamond coat" and other mineral coated pans due to the upcoming "voluntary ban" on non-stick

tell me where "down here" is and i'll send you one

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I was on a no-fry rule too, until I found out about coconut oil. It MUST be 100% organic pure virgin cold pressed. I get it at whole foods for $9.00/jar, and in addition to it being great for frying, it makes a great skin oil, hair oil, among other awesome thing. It has the highest fat content of any oil and I take a spoonful of it every day before going to work. It is a solid at room temperature.

But for cooking, coconut oil is not denatured by heat. It does NOT change and thus cannot create transfats. It makes great frying oil (but expensive). The way I use it is to melt it and brush my meats like chicken or shrimp or whatever, then "oven fry" them or stir fry it. Yes, it adds a tiny bit of coconut flavor but that is a good thing. It makes great crispy sesame teriyaki wings. :)

Consider this a tip like the almond milk....investigate! You might be surprised. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I tend to keep away from the ASOTV stuff, not because the idea's and concepts are bad, but because they tend to be good idea's made on a shithouse budget (as you would expect). I have one of those ASOTV magnetic flyscreens, and it works great, but the fact is, 3 kids and animals are constantly walking in and out has damaged it within 3 months. :(

Goes back to shithouse materials to cut costs really.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
oh forgot--the "anywhere light(?)" works good too-as well as you keep it indoors out of the cold (battery oper), got a couple up in some tight closets--where traditional light bulbs have been broken by moving boxes etc in tight conditions

so 3 ASOTV things that work good

Bluce Ree

I was on a no-fry rule too, until I found out about coconut oil. It MUST be 100% organic pure virgin cold pressed. I get it at whole foods for $9.00/jar, and in addition to it being great for frying, it makes a great skin oil, hair oil, among other awesome thing. It has the highest fat content of any oil and I take a spoonful of it every day before going to work. It is a solid at room temperature.

Check my posted bulking diet. I have 2 tbsp daily mixed in my veggies or brown rice. I also put a tbsp of flax oil in my shakes.

But for cooking, coconut oil is not denatured by heat. It does NOT change and thus cannot create transfats. It makes great frying oil (but expensive). The way I use it is to melt it and brush my meats like chicken or shrimp or whatever, then "oven fry" them or stir fry it. Yes, it adds a tiny bit of coconut flavor but that is a good thing. It makes great crispy sesame teriyaki wings. :)

Consider this a tip like the almond milk....investigate! You might be surprised. :)

That's why I use it to make my steak in the pan and let it smoke the meat. I guess it could be considered frying, so, I stand corrected. :D

Do you read my posted diets & recipes, bro? I've got coconut oil all over the place. :icon_lol:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Check my posted bulking diet. I have 2 tbsp daily mixed in my veggies or brown rice. I also put a tbsp of flax oil in my shakes.

That's why I use it to make my steak in the pan and let it smoke the meat. I guess it could be considered frying, so, I stand corrected. :D

Do you read my posted diets & recipes, bro? I've got coconut oil all over the place. :icon_lol:

Note to shaved
Re: the bolded part.

THIS is where you sneak in your sexual inuendo :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Indeed you do...MAGICAL stuff. Tell your wife about the skin care benefits of it if she does not know. Us colored folks are always having to keep our skin moisterized, and coconut oil in SMALL AMOUNTS (enough to not leave residue) does magic. You can leave it on the legs and arms and hands, but it should be washed thoroughly from the face if you use it there.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Indeed you do...MAGICAL stuff. Tell your wife about the skin care benefits of it if she does not know. Us colored folks are always having to keep our skin moisterized, and coconut oil in SMALL AMOUNTS (enough to not leave residue) does magic. You can leave it on the legs and arms and hands, but it should be washed thoroughly from the face if you use it there.

Macadamia nut oil works wonders as well, but I'm not sure about the cooking. I know you can get cooking grade macadamia oil, but I have never used it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh, and when I first started buying it, it cost about 13-16 dollars at Whole Foods and there was only one brand. Now, it is only $9.00. Whaddaya know?
--- merged: Jan 29, 2013 at 10:00 PM ---
Note to shaved
Re: the bolded part.

THIS is where you sneak in your sexual inuendo :D

:smiley-laughing024::shep_lol::laughing::rotflmao:

Bluce Ree

Goddammit now you got me thinking of my wife's fine black ass all oiled up in coconut oil. She's in Haiti for the next two weeks. :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Macadamia nut oil works wonders as well, but I'm not sure about the cooking. I know you can get cooking grade macadamia oil, but I have never used it.

Funny you should mention Macadamia nuts, because among all nuts, it has the highest saturated fat content of any nut which is a GOOD thing. They are the type of fats which are good for the body and eating them increases the good blood cholestrol if you are also avoiding heavy carbs. :) I never knew about the oil. I would like to do some research. I imagine I will find that it has excellent health benefits.
--- merged: Jan 29, 2013 at 10:03 PM ---
yeah ape where are ya? come stick it in his endo! :D

:smiley-laughing024::rotflmao: