Anyone Know Much About Colorado?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
There's a chance I'll be moving to northern Colorado sometime in the next few months, but all I know about it is that it snows heavily in the wintertime (I just heard about 38 inches overnight from a friend of my kid's).

If you know anything about the area, (Boulder and points northward), please let me know.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
You're in southern California now?
Yep.

The kid has a job offer in northern Colorado, for far more money than she's making now, and the cost of living there is much less than here in LaLaLand.

For example, a mortgage would average about 700 a month (for a 2k+ square foot 4 bedroom 3 bath home)..and we currently pay over 2k a month to rent a 1100sqft one bedroom apartment in downtown Los Angeles.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
..................And there is a reason to discuss the change?? :P

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I was just wondered if anyone knew anything about the area other than the snow...

I hate snow. :(

Congrats are in order for the job. :) Boulder is beautiful from what I've been told.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was just wondered if anyone knew anything about the area other than the snow...

Northern Colorado is a very military-influenced area sorta like Orange County and San Diego and Oceanside in SoCal. There are/were several airforce bases there. There are nuclear weapons based there (ICBMs). The homes are neat and large and the area at large is basically a huge enclave. My brother went to college there (Colorado Institute of the Arts) and I have been there about 6 times. Its going to be a huge difference between that and anywhere in SoCal.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I lived in rural Oregon for over a decade, so I understand conservatism. In fact, conservatism to the point of being a Luddite. Eastern Oregon is the conservative side of the state -- and I'm not a political conservative -- and they get plenty of snow every year.

But there is a huge high tech industry out that way, and that's where my daughter's going to find work where she's not having to work 6+ days a week, 10+ hours a day (no, I'm not kidding).

And I grew up in San Diego County, in a VERY conservative part of the county...and survived.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I grew up in the birthplace of "Hillsong"

Did wonders for me :D

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
mountains and more mountains

Colorado is gorgeous and is NOT a conservative state at all. (we spent 6 years on Utah...the conservative state of the west!) I agree with OM1 that Boulder is a huge difference from so. cal....it's smaller. More than actual city-size it seems to be a state of mind. I remember how much culture shock my sister-in-law had when she moved here (she had serious bipolar disorder and needed a a "safe" place to live for several years...she lived with us for 4 years)-- Indy isn't what I consider "small" but compared to the LA area...it's a village I swear! (oh and Indy is very conservative) You'll get used to less choices and more mountains. it is a breath-taking area though. the "powder" there is great for skiing! :D think of the mountain pics you'll take. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Colorado is gorgeous and is NOT a conservative state at all. (we spent 6 years on Utah...the conservative state of the west!) I agree with OM1 that Boulder is a huge difference from so. cal....it's smaller. More than actual city-size it seems to be a state of mind. I remember how much culture shock my sister-in-law had when she moved here (she had serious bipolar disorder and needed a a "safe" place to live for several years...she lived with us for 4 years)-- Indy isn't what I consider "small" but compared to the LA area...it's a village I swear! (oh and Indy is very conservative) You'll get used to less choices and more mountains. it is a breath-taking area though. the "powder" there is great for skiing! :D think of the mountain pics you'll take. :)

Agreed, Colorado is a mix of Conservative and ultra liberal. Northern Colorado is a mix of everything but as Rac said, its a smallish aread, and the choices of things to do will be limited. ESPECIALLY in the thickest part of winter. But there is very very little crime, no gangs or graffiti and a very effective and friendly law enforcement infrastructure consisting of public and military personnel. Jobs are hard to come by for unskilled locals, and this offer that Illiterati's daughter got is typical...bring in the talent from elsewhere and relocate them to Colorado. :) It is breathtakingly beautiful, however.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Agreed, Colorado is a mix of Conservative and ultra liberal. Northern Colorado is a mix of everything but as Rac said, its a smallish aread, and the choices of things to do will be limited. ESPECIALLY in the thickest part of winter. But there is very very little crime, no gangs or graffiti and a very effective and friendly law enforcement infrastructure consisting of public and military personnel. Jobs are hard to come by for unskilled locals, and this offer that Illiterati's daughter got is typical...bring in the talent from elsewhere and relocate them to Colorado. :) It is breathtakingly beautiful, however.

uh the law enforcement personnel there have had some serious problems...i.e. how they botched the investigation of the JonBenet Ramsey case. :facepalm: horrible!