A true American Treasure

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
A few years ago I had the opportunity to meet Dr. Thomas Sowell (wiki bio here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Sowell) and was fascinated by the man. He is brilliant but not arrogantly so. He didn't talk down to anyone he was introduced to - even a former SAHM who had returned to school. He seemed most interested in how I viewed my college experiences differently - the first time in the early 80's and then in 2005. His intellect really impressed me and I have become a huge fan over the years. He's an economist who speaks on a variety of issues. I decided I would share a few of his articles with this forum:
Are We Serious About Education?
By Thomas Sowell - August 13, 2013
Two recent events -- one on the east coast and one on the west coast -- raise painful questions about whether we are really serious when we say that we want better education for minority children.
One of these events was an announcement by Dunbar High School in Washington, D.C., that it plans on August 19th to begin "an entire week of activities to celebrate the grand opening of our new $160 million state-of-the-art school building." The painful irony in all this is that the original Dunbar High School building, which opened in 1916, housed a school with a record of high academic achievements for generations of black students, despite the inadequacies of the building and the inadequacies of the financial support that the school received. By contrast, today's Dunbar High School is just another ghetto school with abysmal standards, despite Washington's record of having some of the country's highest levels of money spent per pupil -- and some of the lowest test score results. Housing an educational disaster in an expensive new building is all too typical of what political incentives produce. We pay a lot of lip service to educational excellence. But too many institutions and individuals that have produced good educational results for minority students have not only failed to get support, but have even been undermined. A recent example on the west coast is a charter school operation in Oakland called the American Indian Model Schools. The high school part of this operation has been ranked among the best high schools in the nation. Its students' test scores rank first in its district and fourth in the state of California. But the California State Board of Education announced plans to shut down this charter school -- immediately. Its students would have had to attend inferior public schools this September, except that a challenge in court stopped this sudden shutdown. Why such a hurry to take drastic action? Because of a claim of financial improprieties against the charter schools' founder and former head, Ben Chavis. Ben Chavis has not been found guilty of anything in a court of law. Nor has he even been brought to trial, though that would seem to be the normal thing to do if the charges were serious. More important, the children have not been accused of anything. Nor is there any reason for urgency in immediately depriving them of an excellent education they are not likely to get in their local public schools. What Ben Chavis and the American Indian Model Schools are really guilty of is creating academic excellence that shows up the public school system, both by this school's achievements and by the methods used to create those achievements, which go against the educational dogmas prevailing in the failing public schools. If it seems strange that there would be a vendetta against an educator who has defied the education establishment and thereby improved the education of minority students, the fact is that Ben Chavis is only the latest in a long line of educators who have done just that -- and aroused animosity, and even vindictiveness, as a result.Washington's former public school head, Michelle Rhee, raised test scores in that city's school system and was demonized by the education establishment and politicians. She has left.
Years ago, high school math teacher Jaime Escalante, whose success in teaching Mexican American students was celebrated in the movie "Stand and Deliver," was eventually hounded out of Garfield High School in Los Angeles. Yet, while he was there, about one-fourth of all Mexican American students -- in the entire country -- who passed Advanced Placement Calculus came from that one school.
Marva Collins, who established a very successful private school for black children in Chicago, doing so on a shoestring, was likewise the target of hostility when she was a dedicated teacher in the public schools. Other examples could be cited of educators who produced outstanding results for minority students -- in New York, Houston and other places -- and faced the wrath of the education establishment, which sees schools as places to provide jobs for teachers, rather than education for students, and which will not tolerate challenges to its politically correct dogmas.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2013/08/13/are_we_serious_about_education_119582.html

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The only reason Sowell gets attention for his painfully cliche' views is because he's black. The content of his views is the exact same as any other GOP hand puppet. And what credibility he has in the area of economics is called into question when he mentally goes off the rails with his social conservative nonsense. Seriously, he exposes his intellectual dishonesty when he pens such an inane statement as this:

The last refuge of the gay marriage advocates is that this is an issue of equal rights. But marriage is not an individual right. Otherwise, why limit marriage to unions of two people instead of three or four or five?

Why limit it to adult humans, if some want to be united with others of various ages, sexes and species?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
The only reason Sowell gets attention for his painfully cliche' views is because he's black. The content of his views is the exact same as any other GOP hand puppet. And what credibility he has in the area of economics is called into question when he mentally goes off the rails with his social conservative nonsense. Seriously, he exposes his intellectual dishonesty when he pens such an inane statement as this:

The last refuge of the gay marriage advocates is that this is an issue of equal rights. But marriage is not an individual right. Otherwise, why limit marriage to unions of two people instead of three or four or five?

Why limit it to adult humans, if some want to be united with others of various ages, sexes and species?

Oh, FFS. Why do they always float to the right? Is it perhaps an infection they catch once they get there? Did he start off stupid or did he work his way down to it?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I think the definition should legally include the phrase "consenting adult humans", but that's my take on things. Otherwise, I don't care if your marriage contains differing sex, same sex or is a polyamorous relationship.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I think the definition should legally include the phrase "consenting adult humans", but that's my take on things. Otherwise, I don't care if your marriage contains differing sex, same sex or is a polyamorous relationship.

Drop the word human, when what the last time a animal gave "consent"

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
What if the dog humps you? Would that be considered consent?

What if you didn't consent to the humping? Is it assault and rape?

Whats that line.................
It's not "X" if you are giving it...................... :lol:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I'd put "human" to shut up the "if we let same sex people marry, what's to stop someone from wanting to marry their <insert animal type here>?"

It's stupid and disingenuous of them, but they keep saying it.

Lassie barked. She didn't agree with what anyone was saying. She was simply a well-trained dog.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'd put "human" to shut up the "if we let same sex people marry, what's to stop someone from wanting to marry their <insert animal type here>?"

Lassie barked. She didn't agree with what anyone was saying. She was simply a well-trained dog.

That's exactly why these people lose credibility. Coming from the average mouth-breather it's an inane argument to posit but when it comes from "intellectuals" it's particularly disturbing. They have to literally turn-off the critical faculty in their brains to make this argument, which is the height of immorality. It's evil. They are exactly that which they claim to be against.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Take a gander at this article, my dear Ape, and you'll see why the conservatives look down on critical thinking skills.
http://billmoyers.com/content/messing-with-texas-textbooks/

And the Texas GOP came right out last year and demanded that critical thinking skills no longer be taught in Texas schools (and remember what you read in the previous article about the scope of Texas' textbook content decisions). It's part of the Texas GOP's official party platform.
http://truth-out.org/news/item/1014...tical-thinking-skills-in-texas-public-schools
This suggests to me that the GOP (at least in Texas, but I don't think I'm overreaching here when I suggest this describes the entire GOP) simply want mindless worker drones who do whatever the Queen/King bee wishes (read: the Party) and ask no questions about why they must.

"Animal Farm", anyone?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Take a gander at this article, my dear Ape, and you'll see why the conservatives look down on critical thinking skills.
http://billmoyers.com/content/messing-with-texas-textbooks/

And the Texas GOP came right out last year and demanded that critical thinking skills no longer be taught in Texas schools (and remember what you read in the previous article about the scope of Texas' textbook content decisions). It's part of the Texas GOP's official party platform.
http://truth-out.org/news/item/1014...tical-thinking-skills-in-texas-public-schools
This suggests to me that the GOP (at least in Texas, but I don't think I'm overreaching here when I suggest this describes the entire GOP) simply want mindless worker drones who do whatever the Queen/King bee wishes (read: the Party) and ask no questions about why they must.

"Animal Farm", anyone?

Texas is teaching their children to be pariahs in America. Their futures will reflect accordingly, leaving them to work in the service industry, gas stations, farms and Walmart. How can this be considered good by any standard? But this IS Texas we are talking about...one of the least educated, least intellectual states in the US.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
The point of my last post, OM1, is that the decisions of the curriculum board folks in Texas are often spread out to schools in the rest of the country. Thus, those decisions affect more than simply the maturing human spawn in Texas.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The point of my last post, OM1, is that the decisions of the curriculum board folks in Texas are often spread out to schools in the rest of the country. Thus, those decisions affect more than simply the maturing human spawn in Texas.

Who gave Texas all this power? Why cant the other schools who use books simply get them from another source? Create new textbook sources? Doesnt somebody outside of Texas have the authority to approve/disapprove of what goes into state textbooks? Children will look like fools if they think there is one iota of truth in creationism, or that there is not a CLEAR separation of church and state. Many children will be smart enough to realize that their books are full of crap and will see no need or feel no compulsion to read them. They might learn to distrust the school system altogether.

Bluce Ree

This country is becoming a f**king embarrassment. What gets me is how proud they are of their foolishness.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

B

Backstep

Who gave Texas all this power? Why cant the other schools who use books simply get them from another source? Create new textbook sources? Doesnt somebody outside of Texas have the authority to approve/disapprove of what goes into state textbooks? Children will look like fools if they think there is one iota of truth in creationism, or that there is not a CLEAR separation of church and state. Many children will be smart enough to realize that their books are full of crap and will see no need or feel no compulsion to read them. They might learn to distrust the school system altogether.

Texas does not have any power in what the nation school books are or are not. It's cost, Texas is second to Cali in terms of students, so other states adapt books from Texas, as Texas orders large quantity of school books. After Texas lowered the bar again for school books many states banded together and placed orders for school books based on academics negating Texas's attempt to lower standards.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
DUMB TEXANS

On a shopping trip to the city a backwoods farmer bought a 24-piece jigsaw puzzle. He worked on it every night for two weeks. Finally, the puzzle was finished.
"Look what I've don, Jess," he said proudly to a visiting neighbor.

"That's surely somethin', Willard. How long did it take you?"

"Only two weeks."

"Never done a puzzle myself," Jess said. "Is two weeks fast?"

"Darn tootin'," Willard said. "Look at the box. It says, 'From two to four years."

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

Why should I even entertain or aknowledge their BS "slippery slope" crap. I'm all for looking to logical conclusions of an action, but not the downright stupid.

Like this:-
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sidesho...es-building-protest-demolition-224250710.html

Bluce Ree

DUMB TEXANS

On a shopping trip to the city a backwoods farmer bought a 24-piece jigsaw puzzle. He worked on it every night for two weeks. Finally, the puzzle was finished.
"Look what I've don, Jess," he said proudly to a visiting neighbor.

"That's surely somethin', Willard. How long did it take you?"

"Only two weeks."

"Never done a puzzle myself," Jess said. "Is two weeks fast?"

"Darn tootin'," Willard said. "Look at the box. It says, 'From two to four years."

When I was a kid, my parents bought me a Star Trek puzzle with 500 pieces. Imagine a puzzle with that many pieces where about 1/3 of the picture is black space!!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2